North Carolina January 29, 2016
Here Are 16 Signs You’ve Spent WAY Too Much Time In North Carolina
There’s no place like home, right? North Carolinians sure know this – and many of us love the Tar Heel state so much…we never want to leave. But every bird flees the nest, eventually. I’m not advocating anyone packing their bags and taking off…but a little change of scenery never hurt. Are you getting too conditioned to North Carolina? Here are 16 signs.
During these uncertain times, please keep safety in mind and consider adding destinations to your bucket list to visit at a later date.
1. Your opinion on BBQ has become totally apathetic or totally defensive.
You've either grown to just shrug your shoulders and admit you 'kinda' like both...or you've almost gotten in a bar fight about East Vs. Lexington.
2. You find yourself developing heated opinions on 'tourism' season.
And find yourself making remarks like, 'This is MY state, Yankees!'
3. Cookout is no longer reserved for late night food runs....
But lunch, dinner....late breakfast.
4. You know every single time when Bojangles adds a new item to the menu.
And you always still manage to just get a cajun filet biscuit.
5. You're getting unambitious with your hikes.
And find yourself saying something like, 'Next summer I'll do that trail.' (But will you?)
6. You judge leafers.
You find yourself saying something like, 'It's not even peak season yet!' or 'I'm not even going near the Blue Ridge with that traffic!' Don't forget YOU used to be a leafer too!
7. You constantly find new ways to complain about the state.
'There's always road construction!' 'They want to put toll roads in Charlotte!!' 'The Outer Banks is overdeveloped!' 'Everything is overdeveloped!'
8. When you talk with people who've recently moved here....
It makes you sad because you realize you're slowly losing your sense of appreciation and wonder for the state. But it also makes you realize just how lucky you are to live here.
9. Your seashell collection is outrageous.
You really wonder what you'll do with those buckets of seashells in the garage. (Arts and crafts, remember?)
10. Weekends at the cabin or summer weeks at the OBX start to lose their shine.
It's still beautiful, but you find yourself craving more.
11. You remember when going to a Carolina, Duke, NC State Game meant not spending half your paycheck.
And bonus points if you watched Jordan play.
12. You're immune to the humidity.
And you forget just how loud the cicadas sound at night in the summer.
13. You find yourself planning a long trip or even an out of state move.
You tell yourself it's time for something different.
14. You're totally ecstatic when your feet touch foreign soil.
You've dreamed it, you planned it, and now you're doing it! You don't even miss the Tar Heel state that much!
15. But then the homesickness strikes....
And it's terrible. You find yourself craving one glimpse of the Blue Ridge, one summer weekend on the OBX. One yellow leaf in fall. You kick yourself for growing accustomed to, or even unappreciative of, your beautiful home.
16. And by some twist of fate Carolina in My Mind comes on the radio and you're nearly in tears.
You're packing your bags, you're moving back. You promise yourself you'll ALWAYS appreciate your home state from now on. Cause really, there's no place like North Carolina!
Have you experienced this for yourself? I know I have! And sometimes it takes leaving to fully appreciate the beauty of our state. What’s your story of your Carolina roots? Tell us in the comments!