One Of The Most Haunted Cemeteries In North Carolina Is Also The Most Beautiful
There’s something about the serenity of a cemetery that is just so alluring. Maybe it’s the historic grave sites of notable figures, maybe it’s the peace and quiet you find when strolling around, or maybe it’s the unmistakable energy that tends to swirl around cemeteries… it’s anyone’s guess. There’s one cemetery in North Carolina that’s not only one of the most beautiful, but it might just be one of the most haunted cemeteries in North Carolina. If you’re not a believer, you might just find yourself questioning everything after paying a visit to Oakwood Cemetery in Raleigh NC.
While there’s no video footage of the statue’s head spinning, it does make you wonder how that story came to be. Many paranormal teams have investigated the cemetery and the statue, and while they’ve had their fair share of unexplained experiences here, the statue remained intact. If you find yourself in the cemetery, look for her statue and see for yourself.
Oakwood Cemetery in Raleigh, NC is just one of several haunted cemeteries in North Carolina. How many have you visited?
If you’re hitting the road to see all of the cemeteries, make sure to check out the ultimate road snacks list.
More to Explore
Oakwood Cemetery in Raleigh NC
What is the most haunted cemetery in NC?
One of the North Carolina cemeteries frequently cited for its haunted reputation is the Old Smithville Burying Ground in Southport. This historic cemetery dates back to the 18th century and is home to numerous graves from different periods, including Confederate soldiers and victims of yellow fever outbreaks.
Visitors and local ghost tour operators have reported various paranormal activities such as strange apparitions, unexplained noises, and feelings of being watched. It's often featured in local ghost tours and is a subject of interest for those intrigued by the paranormal.
Another location often cited is the Riverside Cemetery in Asheville, where notable figures like writers Thomas Wolfe and O. Henry are buried. Though it's a peaceful and well-maintained place, there have been reports of ghostly figures and eerie sensations experienced by visitors.
Are there a lot of haunted cemeteries in NC?
According to local legends and tales, North Carolina, with its rich history and folklore, has numerous cemeteries that are believed to be haunted. From historic graveyards to sites associated with Civil War battles, many of these cemeteries have stories of ghostly apparitions, unexplained noises, and other paranormal activity.
Here are some haunted cemeteries in NC:
- Numerous Cemeteries: North Carolina has a rich history, resulting in many cemeteries with stories of hauntings and paranormal activity.
- Old Smithville Burying Ground: Located in Southport, this cemetery is often cited as one of the most haunted due to its long history and reports of ghostly apparitions.
- Riverside Cemetery: In Asheville, this cemetery is the final resting place for famous figures like Thomas Wolfe and O. Henry, and it has reports of paranormal activity.
- Civil War Sites: Cemeteries near battlefields often have tales of haunting, sometimes connected to soldiers who died during the war.
- Local Legends: Many smaller, lesser-known cemeteries are associated with local folklore and stories of hauntings passed down through generations.
- Ghost Tours: Some of these "haunted" cemeteries are featured in local ghost tours, further popularizing their eerie reputations.