North Carolina May 25, 2017
15 Awkward Moments Every North Carolinian Has Endured At Least Once
Plenty of things in life are awkward, telling the waitress ‘you too’ when she says ‘enjoy your meal,’ calling someone by the wrong name, even something like overdressing or underdressing to a certain event. Yet, while many awkward moments tend to be situational, there’s also some that can easily be applied to a whole group of people. Insert North Carolinians, even when you live in the most beautiful state, sometimes things can still get awkward.
1. When a restaurant doesn't serve sweet tea. Like...how dare you, no, I don't care that there's sugar on the table.
2. When we prep for five inches of snow but only get a dusting, at least we have plenty of milk, bread, and alcohol.
3. Not to mention...hitting patches of grass while skiing in the winter.
4. When someone says, "Wanna go to a BBQ?" and we expect pulled pork and end up at a cookout.
5. Getting caught believing old wive's tales, AKA avoiding the last loaf of bread (for women). Also... preparing a whole New Year's Day meal in hopes of good luck for the coming year and having to explain why to someone from out of state.
6. Trying to explain to someone where 'yonder' is, like, we don't really know either ok, it's just there, it's a place, it exists, it means too many things and none at all.
7. Having someone laugh or mock us because we say y'all or ain't. Yet we know using our southern dialect doesn't diminish the fact we're educated and intelligent.
8. Traveling to the deep south and having someone call us a 'Yankee.'
9. Explaining the difference between South and North Carolina to someone from across the country.
10. Encountering someone who says "I just don't like Bojangles."
11. Watching in horror as someone from out of state disrespects their elders.
12. Thinking we're all 'southern' but being in shock when you begin to encounter the different southern accents found throughout the state, or even a 'hoi toider' on the Outer Banks.
13. Arguing with someone from out of state over the fact UNC V Duke is THE GREATEST rivalry in the nation. Nothing comes close, sorry Ohio State and Michigan.
14. Becoming so accustomed to highway construction it seems almost strange when we don't encounter it.
15.When someone says "Appa LAY shun."
How true! Which ones did you relate to the most? Any you’d add?
For more things that will make you say “that’s so me,” here are
15 signs you grew up in North Carolina.