Each state has its stereotypes and misconceptions. Just like with stereotypes, it’s a bit unfair, and unreasonable to group all people of one state into a single ideology. Here are 14 I have heard from out-of-staters visiting North Carolina. Bless their heart, they know so little about how diverse and awesome we are!
1. That North Carolina and South Carolina are basically the same.
2. That all barbeque is created equal.
The BBQ you taste on the eastern side of the state is fundamentally different from the western style. Most natives have their favorite, but both are delicious!
3. That we're all either UNC or Duke fans.
Yes, everyone in NC has their "side" but with so many other great universities, like Wake Forest, NC State, ASU, UNCC, ECU....our devotion to sports runs way deeper than just UNC or Duke.
4. Tobacco is the only thing we grow.
Farming is a large part of many North Carolinians lives. It's not just tobacco, but cotton, corn, tomatoes, dairy....I could go on...but you get it.
5. We drink sweet tea for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Mainly just dinner.
6. That we're all a bunch of country bumpkins.
North Carolinians love their southern roots, we're southern at heart and nothing is wrong with that, but we're also sophisticated and smart. We've crafted both into a balanced lifestyle.
7. That we have taken a "side" over which is our favorite...the coast or the mountains.
I love both equally. Both have shaped me as a native, and a person, and I would never choose a side.
8. That we have super big beef with Ohio.
Honestly it's the other way around. North Carolinians know, and are confident, in the fact that that plane took off on the NC Coast, so yes, we are first in flight. Ohio just keeps feeling the need to defend their "invention." Sure, you can come up with a concept or invention in ONE state, but that plane took off on the NC coast, so there ya go. Also, a good amount of NC transplants come from Ohio, so they can't hate us that much.
9. Our main food groups consists of biscuits and gravy, livermush, and southern comfort food.
There's no denying comfort food is by far our favorite food "group" but NC has so many amazing restaurants we have grown to have a pretty refined palate. Most of the natives are total foodies who love to switch it up from traditional to tapas to international cuisine.
10. That Asheville is a bunch of liberal hippies.
Plenty of non-liberals, non-hippies, and non-youth live in Asheville. It's a gorgeous city with abundant opportunity for work, plus amazing views. It's perfect for a family with an active lifestyle. Asheville is so much more than just a "hippie" city.
11. And, that Charlotte is just a bunch of bankers and professionals.
Yes, this career field highly dominates the Charlotte economy, but Charlotte has a LARGE arts scene. Between music, dance, arts, film, writing, etc....the arts scene in Charlotte is a growing one with a large backbone. Just look at the neighborhoods like NoDa and Plaza Midwood...very cultural, artistic, and "young."
12. Speaking of...that Raleigh and Charlotte are alike.
Raleigh and Charlotte are basically two completely different entities existing in one state. The capital city and the queen city also have some understated "beef."
13. We can't make up our mind when it comes to politics.
Oh, wait, this one is pretty true. Yet, it is more so an issue of "state divided." There are the respective "party" supporters in each state, but North Carolinians have made up their mind, it just comes SO close each time it makes us look a bit indecisive.
14. We all dip tobacco or smoke cigarettes.
Just because we grow it doesn't mean we smoke it.
What are some common stereotypes and misconceptions you’ve heard about North Carolina?
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.