New York November 10, 2016
11 Extremely Weird Things Only People From New York Do
Whether it’s the permanent smirk smeared across all of our faces from dealing with New York’s cold weather or some other sort of tell, it seems that our residents are easy to spot once they find themselves outside of our state borders. With a state so large and filled with so many regions, our residents are all made up of a unique variety of traits that have been acquired by living here in the Empire State. Here are just some of the many strange things that only people from New York do.
1. The majority of our residents are all arguing over who
really lives in Upstate New York.
In a state where residents that live one hundred miles away from each other can both claim to live in Upstate New York, things can be quite confusing. Over the years it somehow seemed to happen right before our eyes that this desginated region of New York practically turned into the entire state. So really,
do you live in Upstate New York?
2. When we come home after being away, we look forward to going grocery shopping the most.
Depending on what area of New York you live in, you'll be more than familiar with the holy shrine that is Wegmans. Wegmans isn't just a grocery store, it's a part of our home that we save a special place for in our hearts. Wegmans forever!
3. We start to see red as soon as anyone says "In Long Island" instead of "On Long Island".
A separate world on its own, Long Island is a magical region of New York. All that our island residents ask of you is that you simply use that right terminology.
4. We have a slight obsession with salt potatoes... and just salt in general.
Take a trip out to Central New York and you'll find that our residents have bellies full of savory salty potatoes! We may even have a Salt Museum out in the village of Liverpool.
5. We'll take a Grapie Pie over all other flavors, any day of the week.
Out in the Finger Lakes where grapes have created a way of life, our residents prefer to enjoy wine and grape pies all day long.
6. We argue with each other over which New York team is truly the best.
Lea Monroe/Only In Your State
First we'll argue over the Yankees and then Mets, quickly moving on to football where we'll argue over the New York Giants, Jets and Buffalo Bills, the great debates never end.
7. We show up to our jobs and school no matter what it looks like outside.
8. Once we find a secret scenic spot, we're not going to share it with anyone.
Lea Monroe/Only In Your State
You won't find us tagging our locations on social media posts, we aren't willing to give up our favorite secrets spots!
9. The second we sense that cold weather has arrived, we quickly take out all of our winter gear as quickly as possible, North Face jackets included.
There's no turning back once it gets cold enough to need one of our North Face jackets, a random 60 degree day could show up out of nowhere and we'll still be wearing our gear.
10. We'll refuse to believe that better bagels, pizza or wings exist anywhere outside of the state of New York.
From our mouthwatering wings out in Buffalo to New York City's unbelievable pizza, there's just not other state that puts such a delicious twist on your favorite foods.
11. Speaking of New York City, we'll almost always do anything to avoid this area of our state.
To our residents who live in this famous and chaotic city, we can
usually understand part of the appeal. But generally speaking, most of our residents are tired of being associated with this one condensed area of New York. There's so much more to see in our state than just Times Square!
What would you add to this list, there’s so many things only us New Yorkers will ever be able to fully relate to! To put your state pride to the test even further, see if you can recognize these
15 Words That You’ll Only Ever Understand If You’re From New York.