Growing up in New York is a difference experience for everyone, but no matter how different we are we can all agree that there are certain characteristics that we can all bond over. From our favorite things to eat to everyday things that we find ourselves doing, there’s certain side effects of living in the Empire State that we’d never trade in for anything else.
1. You'll become addicted to chasing waterfalls.
With so many epic waterfalls waiting to be seen in New York, many of our residents dedicate their time to chasing and photographing them. Always providing a serene experience and sight to be marveled over, our waterfalls are some of the most beautiful natural wonders that you'll ever see.
2. We're willing to eat things that most people aren't.
Famous native dishes of New York like our delectable Garbage Plates are just some of the foods we favor that aren't considered to be part of the norm. While out-of-towners may be quick to turn their nose up at the idea of this dish, we're more than willing to devour this savory meal all by ourselves.
3. And through no control of your own you'll quickly become a snob when it comes to pizza, bagels and wings.
Any other state in our country can jokingly try to claim that they're the best when it comes to these foods, but New Yorkers know that the best pizza, bagels and wings can only be found in the Empire State.
4. You'll become the greatest fan of Wegmans without even realizing it.
Sadly, not every town in New York features their very own Wegmans, but it's nearly impossible to grow up in the Empire State without knowing about this incredible chain of stores. More than just a grocery store, Wegmans headquarters reside right near Rochester and we couldn't be more proud.
5. Adventures filled with thrill and dirt will begin to consistently excite you.
Other states may take pleasure in filling their free time with more laid-back and relaxing adventures, but New Yorkers love to explore every inch of our state no matter how dirty it may get us. We've learned that some of our most favorite adventures are ones that require us to do a full load of laundry afterwards.
6. The names of destinations that are a mouthful to others simply roll right off the tongue for you.
Between places like Cattaraugus, Schenectady, Cheektowaga and so many more, it can feel like you've entered another universe if you're an out-of-towner exploring our state.
7. You favor shopping trips at your local Mom & Pop store instead of hitting up the nearby big-box stores.
With spots like Vidler's 5 & 10 and other
charming general stores
, it's easy to see why we'd prefer shopping at our small local stores instead of other well-known businesses.
8. You'll find yourself filled with more state pride than you thought imaginable.
A state logo that has now become famous worldwide, I Love New York is an understatement when it comes to how our residents feel.
9. While in the same hand learning that your relationship with New York will be one of love and hate.
We certainly are capable of realizing how lucky we are to live in the Empire State, but we know that with the good can also come the bad. Annually we can count on harsh winter weather to have us shaking our fists of fury and questioning why we've chosen to live here, but no matter what we wouldn't trade this place for the world.
10. Unpredictable weather causes you to always keep an extra layer of clothes in your car.
Look inside the cars of many New Yorkers and you'll often find that we're equipped with almost an entire wardrobe. Depending on the season, we could go from wearing flip flops to winter coats in all in one day. New York weather has a mind of its own!
11. We all know where we're talking about when we say "the city".
The Big Apple, The City of Dreams, everyone has their own name for New York. But those of us who live in the Empire State almost exclusive reference this place as "the city".
12. And we quickly start to see red when you assume that we're from New York City.
We can all agree that this tiny piece of New York is our most famed destination, but that doesn't mean that all of us live here!
13. You'll become a master at driving through all sorts of intense conditions.
From nerve-wracking thunder storms to blizzards, having a car in New York state is like the ultimate drivers test. There's no terrain or weather that will make you rattled!
14. No matter how hard we may try, we always end up returning to our home state.
Sometimes we need to discover that the grass isn't always greener on the other side for ourselves. We may move away to try out the transplant life, but we'll always end up coming back home to our favorite roots.