New York January 09, 2017
14 Things You Must Know About Dating Someone From New York
New Yorkers are one of a kind. If you ever have the pleasure or dating someone from the Empire State, then there’s a few things that you’re going to want to know beforehand. Below we’ve put together a list of things that you’ll want to read about before you start getting serious with someone from our state. Let’s see if you can relate to any of them!
1. We know where all of the best secret spots are.
It's ironically no secret that New Yorkers tend to be very protective over our favorite scenic spots. While we're never quick to tell out-of-towners about these breathtaking locations, if you manage to find your way into your hearts you'll end up having access to some of New York's most beautiful locations.
2. And we know which lakes are the best to visit.
New York is home to thousands of gorgeous lakes that are worth your attention, but there are some that are certainly better than others. When you're dating a New Yorker there's no need to feel overwhelmed trying to decide which body of water you should plan an adventure to, we know exactly where to take you.
3. We're allowed to acknowledge New York's negative qualities... but you aren't.
With the good comes the bad and New Yorkers are often not afraid to talk about it all. From our high taxes to anything else you could think to complain about it, there's an unwritten rule that only New York residents are allowed to acknowledge these things.
4. And we certainly don't want to hear you complain about the cold weather and snow.
Real New Yorkers know how to deal with the cold weather and harsh winter conditions; the last thing we want to hear is you complain about how chilly it is here. Grab your scarf and gloves, because we like to make the most of it and dive right into the snow!
5. We love using the winter weather as the perfect excuse to cuddle.
Whether it's in front of a warm fireplace or simply under our favorite cozy blankets, we love nothing more than having an excuse to cuddle.
6. We'll love you forever if we wake up in the morning to find that you've already cleared off our car and shoveled away all of the snow.
One of the many great nuisances of living in New York during the winter (if you don't have your own garage) is the continuous issue of having to clear the snow off of your car. If we wake up in the morning to find that you've already taken care of this tedious task for us? Well, you'll instantly have our hearts.
7. During the summer you won't be able to keep us inside; we do our best to soak up all the sun we can.
If you're a true New Yorker than you know just how short summer always feels. If you find yourself dating a New Yorker be prepared to spend these several months outside, that's where we'll be!
8. We aren't afraid to get dirty.
New Yorkers know that some of the best adventures you'll ever take are ones that will require you to get a little wet and dirty.
9. We know which summits have the best views.
Don't feel the need to take us to an over the top fancy restaurant; we'd love nothing more than to spend the day on a trail with you. There are not many things that are more romantic than taking in the incredible views you'll find our mountains with someone that you care about.
10. You'll never go hungry because we know where all of the best places to eat are.
You'll never have an empty belly when you're dating a New Yorker. We always know the perfect restaurant to take you to for a great date night.
11. And we're going to make you try all of New York's speciality dishes.
From mouthwatering Spiedies to Garbage Plates and Chicken Riggies to Utica Greens, there's so many amazing New York native dishes that we'll love to share with you.
12. And specifically our bagels, pizza and wings are better than anyone else's. Period.
If you're dating a New Yorker and try to suggest that out of state pizza, bagels or wings exist? Well consider yourself dumped.
13. We're wildly passionate about our sports.
If you're dating a New Yorker, plan on going to at least one tailgating event during the year!
14. Family is important to us, even if you're not technically blood related.
New Yorkers know more than most that you don't have to be blood to be family. We have strong family units that are important to us, and you're expected to love our family like it's your own.
Can you relate to any of these things that come with dating a New Yorker? For more posts about things that only our Empire State residents will understand, check out the
12 Things You’ve Grown To Undeniably Hate If You Live In New York!