New York March 08, 2019
These 13 Candid Photos Show What Life Was Like In New York In the 1960s
Here at Only In New York, we frequently like to showcase to our readers some of the newest and most exciting attractions within our state. Every now and then, though, it’s good to give yourself a healthy dose of nostalgia by taking an exciting walk down memory lane. If you happened to have grown up anywhere in the state of New York during the 1960s, then you’ll surely get a kick out of seeing how different everything was back then through the eyes of these photographs below. Check it out!
1. This photo was captured during 1967, but how many of you visited Storytown USA while it operated in Lake George, New York between 1954 and 1983?
2. The view from Storytown USA's gondola might look familiar! This shot was captured in 1967.
3. Things looked a bit different during 1967 when the South Mall was being built in Albany!
4. Yet some views like this one from 1963, taken at the State Office Buildings, don't look too different nowadays!
5. Taken in September of 1964, just look at how different everything was on State and Eagle Streets in Albany.
6. In the early morning of August 16th, 1969, many New Yorkers found themselves stuck in traffic along Route 17B.
7. While some other New Yorkers simply found themselves stuck in the mud in the town of Bethel during 1969.
8. On September 8th, 1965, you could've found Midtown New York looking just like this.
9. Down in New York City during the 1960s, you also would've found that ice cream trucks looked quite a bit different and were much more simple.
10. While all of the Holiday Inn signs have changed, we can't help but miss this one that was once located in East Syracuse — captured in 1963.
11. One of the most epic events to take place during the 1960s, here you can see people walking around the World's Fair in New York in 1964.
12. Some may not remember it, but on August 27th of 1967, New York City saw one of the heaviest rainstorms in history.
13. Alas, we leave you with the memory of walking inside the mouth of the whale at Storytown USA, circa 1967 — a memory that almost all of us have captured and hidden away somewhere in an old photo album.
If you have any old photos from around New York during the 1960s, be sure to share them with us in the comments! To enjoy more nostalgic treasures, check out how
This Historic New York Train Depot Is Now A Beautiful Restaurant Right On The Tracks!