This Tiered Waterfall And Swimming Hole In New York Must Be On Your Summer Bucket List
If you’re looking to go swimming at an unforgettable swimming hole with a waterfall, then you need to hightail it on up, down, or over to Buttermilk Falls, located just outside of Ithaca. Ithaca is home to no fewer than four New York state parks, and this is one of them. All are beautiful and have some great New York waterfalls, but this one gives visitors the opportunity to swim at the base of a waterfall, too. You’ll love it. Read on to learn more.
As you can see, Buttermilk Falls State Park is a very special place! You’ll love swimming here! The park also has lodging, including campsites and cabins, a pavilion you can rent, and playgrounds and playing fields for you to enjoy. Head to the website for Buttermilk Falls for the most up-to-date information.
If you’re looking for more waterfalls in NY and places to swim, check out these 7 New York swimming holes.
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.
Get To Know New York
What are the most unique towns in New York?
Want to explore the state further than just one of the best waterfalls in NY? Consider visiting some unique towns in New York:
- Cold Spring: This is a great Putnam County town for exploring stores, eateries, and even history on foot. And with close proximity to the Hudson River, it is also quite scenic. My favorite activities include exploring Bannerman Castle and hiking within Hudson Highland State Park.
- Sleepy Hollow: You may be familiar with this town due to its connection to the famous 1820 Washington Irving short story, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. In fact, you can do several different tours that will take you to famous spots. The town also boasts other unique landmarks, like the Sleepy Hollow Lighthouse and Phillipsburg Manor.
Are there any good swimming holes in New York?
It's not just Buttermilk Falls where you can swim. Beat the heat and head to some of these other swimming holes in New York:
- Kaaterskill Falls: Located in Hunter, the hike out to this swimming hole is 1.4 miles out and back. The falls themselves are 260 feet tall. Swim, picnic, or just bask in the beauty. Just know that it’s very popular; I’d head there on a weekday if possible!
- Split Rock Falls: You’ll find this swimming hole off the Boquet River in Essex County. It’s easily accessible via a 5-10 walk from the road. There are several pools here to choose from.
What are the best campgrounds in New York?
Stay the night outside at some of the best campgrounds in New York:
- Hither Hills State Park: If you are looking for tent camping with a side of the beach, check out this campground located in Montauk. Enjoy boating, swimming fishing, biking, hunting, and more during your stay.
- Letchworth State Park: Known as the “Grand Canyon of the East”, this 14,350-acre park is certainly a sight to see. Consider staying the night here with both tent and cabin rentals available. Among the activities available include 66 miles of hiking, biking, whitewater rafting, and hot-air balloon rides.
- Glimmerglass State Park: Located in Cooperstown by Otsego Lake, you can tent camp or bring your RV here. Considering you are right in the park, you can take easy advantage of its fishing, biking, and hiking opportunities.