New York December 26, 2016
Here Are The 14 Biggest Risks Living In The State Of New York
Like all of the sweet things in life, living in the Empire State has both its pros and cons. And while we can all easily agree that the positives outweigh the negatives, sometimes it doesn’t hurt to acknowledge some of the risks we deal with as New York residents. Think you have what it takes to live here? You might want to take a look at these 14 risks before making the move.
1. C'mon, we're all thinking it. Taxes.
If there's one thing that you'll hear all New York complain about in unison, it's our taxes. If you're not ready to deal with them and a high cost of living, hit the road Jack. We throw taxes on everything.
2. Your precious tires are going to have to deal with some serious potholes.
No matter where you live in New York, dealing with potholes is just one of the many things you're going to have to face. You'll become quite familiar with the free air pump in your nearest vicinity.
3. It gets so freezing cold here, it might literally kill you.
Never underestimate how frigid it can get up here in New York!
4. And if the freezing temperatures don't kill you, driving out in the snow might just do it.
Say hello to snow tires and four-wheel drive, living in New York means we learn to drive on what the snowplow left behind.
5. That is... if you can even
find your car to get in and drive it.
It's happened to all of us. The moment when we look out our window before we go to our cars, only to realize we can't even see our car. And what's even worse? Spending an ungodly amount of time digging out a car, only to realize it's not actually yours.
6. If you do eventually find your car, you'll want to be careful out on our roads. They've been known to be deadly!
Are you willing to put up with driving on some of our
7. If you live out near Lake Ontario or Lake Erie, you'll deal with a lake-effect snow storm at one point or another.
Take a look at our
, Western and Norther New York are no strangers to deadly and powerful lake-effect storms. Get ready for the ride!
8. Think you're experienced enough to take on our trails? You could very well get lost.
As beautiful as our mountains and trails can be, they're equally as dangerous.
9. Thought the dangers of the road were over? Never. Be sure to keep your eyes peeled for deer by the masses!
As much as some of us love these furry creatures, they can be quite dangerous. If you're driving and end up colliding into one of these guys? Nine out of ten times you can kiss your totaled car goodbye.
10. Losing all cell phone service while you're in one of our small towns? It'll happen.
Exploring a new place? You won't want to rely solely on the powers of the internet and phone service to be your guide.
11. Your dining standards will forever be raised once you see how New York does things.
From wings and pizza to bagels and regional favorites, there's certain dishes that won't ever taste the same once you see how New York puts its spin on them.
12. Because our state is so wonderful, we often have to deal with annoying tourists.
A bittersweet risk, we fight to see through our anger and understand that these visitors have almost as much love for New York as we do.
13. Pay attention to what fountain you're drinking from! Sometimes are water can taste a bit funky.
Lea Monroe/Only In Your State
Take a trip to the magical location of Saratoga and you can find a total of
eighteen natural springs
scattered across the
. While the springs are all said to vary in their healing powers and taste, some of the fountains you can get water from have a very carbonated taste! If you aren't prepared for it, it may catch you by surprise.
14. A threat not all of New York has to worry about, our Downstate residents are familiar with the dangers of dealing with a hurricane.
It wasn't too long ago that New York was hit with the devastating Hurricane Sandy. Sadly, some of our residents are more familiar with unbelievably flooding than others.
Do you warn out-of-towners of any other dangers? And speaking of risks… you might want to find about the
10 Most Dangerous Places In New York After Dark!