New Mexico May 24, 2016
20 Reasons Why My Heart Will Always Be In New Mexico
New Mexico is a special and unique place. Whether you’re fortunate enough to live here for many years or just for a brief time, it’s sure to leave an impression on you. Even if circumstances force you to move away, you may find that your heart still belongs to New Mexico. Here are some of the reasons why.
1. Clean air
You can breathe here without choking on pollution.
2. The smell of an approaching storm
You can always tell when rain and lightning are on the way.
3. Dramatic skyscapes
I'm not sure if that's a word but, if you've spent any time in New Mexico, you'll understand why it should be.
4. The stargazing opportunities
The lack of light pollution means that our night skies are remarkable.
5. State parks
They are plentiful, beautiful, and varied.
6. Our national monuments
Pictured: Capulin Volcano National Monument.
7. All of the small towns, each with their individual personalities
Exploring New Mexico's numerous small towns could take a lifetime.
Pictured: Clayton, which is known for its dinosaur footprints.
8. Driving the back roads
You never know what you'll find around the next bend.
9. You're surrounded by expansive views
Pictured: the Rio Chama.
10. The scenery is almost universally lovely...
...and it's diverse as well.
11. Little traffic
Compared to some places, our version of "rush hour" is a breeze.
12. Peace and quiet whenever you want it
It certainly feels like there are more cows than people.
13. Loads of ways to enjoy the great outdoors
Rafting, hiking, horse riding and so much more.
14. Our wildlife, especially the birds
The quail are totally adorable.
15. We have a mix of cultures
Our cultural landscape is as rich as the natural one.
16. New Mexico has a long history
It stretches back for more than 1000 years.
17. Our food bursts with flavor.
Other places seem like the Land of Bland.
18. The people
So many overlook our state, but those who appreciate it are our kind of people.
19. Fall foliage
Ah, the aspens...
20. The sight of farolitos at Christmas...
...along with the scent of piñon wood smoke drifting through the air.
We all have our own reasons why our hearts belong in New Mexico. What are yours?