New Mexico January 26, 2017
14 Ways New Mexico Is America’s Black Sheep… And We Love It That Way
The livestock population in New Mexico far surpasses the human one. I don’t know how many actual black sheep you’ll find in the Land of Enchantment, but standing out from the herd isn’t a bad thing. In fact, individuality is often something to be celebrated. Here are 14 reasons why New Mexico might be America’s black sheep:
1. Each January, Angel Fire hosts the World Shovel Race Championships.
We’re certainly not a boring bunch.
2. We have an entire museum devoted to rattlesnakes.
That way you can teach kids to easily identify one without having to examine a wild specimen.
3. Some of our festivals are… unique.
Roswell hosts an annual UFO Festival.
4. One of our towns changed its name at the suggestion of a radio show host.
Truth or Consequences used to be called Hot Springs.
5. We have the only round state capitol building in the nation…
…Which we unofficially (and unoriginally) refer to as the Roundhouse.
6. That’s not our only unusual building.
New Mexico is also home to an earthship community.
7. We don’t believe in paving roads.
Roughly three quarters of our roads remain unpaved so, during monsoon season, mudding becomes a universal hobby.
8. We’re bizarrely fond of a particular gas station chain.
The chain was founded in Roswell, so we’re just being loyal.
9. We know that the best freshly baked bread comes from one of these.
Hornos are outdoor adobe ovens and if you ever have the chance to try food cooked in one of these, DO IT.
10. We eat chile for breakfast.
Other people might consider this an unusual habit, but they’re the ones missing out.
11. We also decorate our houses with chile.
These are called ristras and you’ll see them hanging outside people’s homes.
12. We feel very strongly about Christmas decorations.
Some people refer to these as farolitos, while others call them luminarias. Which term do you use?
13. New Mexico has double rainbows…
…Because we’re THAT awesome. These aren’t unique to New Mexico, but I’ve never seen one anywhere else. How about you?
14. We don’t let idiots vote.
No, really, it’s the law.
What would you add to this list?
Check out our past article: “
These 10 Crazy Laws In New Mexico Will Leave You Scratching Your Head In Wonder.”