Living in New Jersey, you learn a few things. From valuable skills to fun facts, these are 20 things that only those from New Jersey know to be true.
1. We're more than just highways and refineries.
We have well over a million acres of farm, park, and preserved land.
2. We're called the Garden State for a reason.
Our tomatoes are famous world-wide for their flavor and we're top producers of: cranberries, bell peppers, spinach, peaches, blueberries, cucumbers, sweet corn, squash and so much more!
3. New Jersey lays claim to both the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.
Major portions of both national attractions are located in New Jersey territory.
4. The 2014 New York Superbowl... that was in New Jersey.
And both the Jets and Giants are New Jersey teams!
5. Rutgers isn't just a party school.
Rutgers is one of nine "Colonial Colleges" chartered before the American Revolution. Rutgers is a leading research institution and has the top ranked women's studies program in the nation. The philosophy program is tied for first alongside NYU and Princeton and the business and engineering schools are also top ranked.
6. No other shore towns compare.
While other states may have one or two beautiful beach towns, New Jersey is home to the nation's first beach resort (Cape May) along with great destinations like Wildwood, Atlantic City, Asbury Park, Point Pleasant and more.
7. And our boardwalks are the best.
Atlantic City offers the longest boardwalk in the world, but our other boardwalks are just as amazing. We all love Morey's Piers and Jenkinsons!
8. We know that Xanadu isn't just a 1980 fantasy film.
It's an eyesore in the Meadowlands. Renamed the "American Dream," this ambitious project is still in progress. Having taken years to build, it is set to be the largest mall in America.
9. It's PORK ROLL! Unless...
You live in North Jersey. Then, it's TAYLOR HAM!
10. Heading out for a "quick" trip during rush hour is a joke.
If you need to run an errand, do it before 4 or after 7.
11. If you want to enjoy the beach on a summer weekend, leave early.
12. There's North Jersey and there's South Jersey...
And they're two very different worlds. I personally believe there is a Central Jersey, but that's another debate in our state...
13. Everything you could ever want is in reach.
Only in New Jersey can you access beaches, mountains, big cities, small towns, mega-malls, independent bookstores, quality entertainment, hiking, biking, boating and more, all within a short drive.
14. No one says "Joisey."
Unless they're joking. And probably not even then.
15. Jersey girls don't pump gas!
Neither do Jersey guys... Thank goodness this photo is from 3 years ago. Those prices!!!
16. Diners are a way of life.
And everyone has a favorite. Could you imagine growing up without those late night disco (gravy) fries?
17. Beware of toilet paper and silly string on October 30th.
Mischief Night, Goosey Night, Cabbage Night, whatever you call it... it doesn't really exist in other states.
18. Jersey pizza is the best pizza.
Maybe it's those delicious Jersey tomatoes that make the difference? Or maybe it's something in the water?
19. The Jersey Devil is real.
At least in our hearts. Those scary stories made our childhood, and the legend even inspired the name of our NHL team.
20. New Jersey is underrated.
It's the greatest state in the country and almost no one knows. We like it that way; New Jersey definitely doesn't need any more residents.