Nevada August 22, 2016
20 Undeniable Things You KNOW Are True If You’re From Southern Nevada
This post is all about Southern Nevada truths; the little things we tend to experience in the bottom half of the state.
While Northern Nevada and Southern Nevada have many things in common, there are also a lot of things for which we cannot find a common ground (Go Rebels!). It makes perfect sense. The distance between Las Vegas and Reno is 345 miles – practically separate states.
If you’re from Southern Nevada, you know the following 20 things to be true. If you’re from Northern Nevada, you may be surprised to find you relate to some as well.
1. It really is a “dry” heat.
But to be fair, so is the inside of an oven.
2. Our sunsets are the most beautiful in the country.
Our sunrises are pretty nifty too.
3. There’s more to Southern Nevada than Las Vegas.
Big Bend of the Colorado River, Laughlin.
Ash Meadows Wildlife Refuge, Amargosa Valley.
Pahrump Valley Winery and Vineyards.
4. There’s more to Las Vegas than the Strip.
Floyd Lamb State Park.
Red Rock Canyon Conservation Area.
Fremont Street East, downtown Las Vegas.
5. Speaking of the Strip, the traffic on Las Vegas Boulevard is for suckers.
There's a back way into most casinos, but we're probably not going to tell you what it is.
6. Never spend New Year’s Eve on the Strip.
And if you do, you better have a plan to get home.
7. Pronounce Nevada wrong and we won't take you seriously.
So just don't do it.
8. At some point or another we'll be asked if we're a showgirl / prostitute/ stripper.
Just no. And we don’t all live in hotels.
9. Dealer here is a reputable career that has nothing to do with drugs.
P.S. Don't forget to tip your dealer.
10. You can typically drink for free if you’re gambling in a casino.
P.P.S. Don't forget to tip your cocktail waitress.
10. Nothing is Southern Nevada is certain but death, taxes and construction.
Thank goodness for alternate routes.
12. It rarely rains in Southern Nevada unless you just washed your car.
It's not just one of our Southern Nevada truths, it's also Murphy's Law.
13. If it does indeed rain, everyone will instantly forget how to drive.
Steer INTO the skid.
14. Whatever you do, don’t drive into flood waters.
No really, don't.
15. Prostitution is illegal in Clark and Lincoln counties.
Las Vegas is located in Clark County, so don't be fooled by ads like the one above.
16. But it’s legal in Nye and Esmeralda counties.
So there's that.
17. Drink water.
Remember Number one?
18. Save Water
There's a drought in the west. The white bathtub ring around Lake Mead, pictured above, represents the man-made lake's lowering water level. The water reservoir is at an all-time low, and a water shortage could be looming in coming years.
19. Life in the desert is never boring.
Off-roading in the Vegas dunes.
Seven Magic Mountains near Jean, a two-year exhibition by Swiss artist Ugo Rondinone ...
... Mosaic piece called "Sit Here" by Sofie Siegmann in the Goldwell open air art museum at Rhyolite ghost town ...
... International Car Forest of the Last Church near Goldfield.
20. There’s no such thing as “last call.”
In Southern Nevada, the party never ends.
Did any of these 20 Southern Nevada truths speak to you? Anything we forgot? Let us know in the comments below.