Nevada November 07, 2015
10 Things People In Nevada Did Before The Internet Took Over Our Lives
As I sit at my computer, signed onto the Internet, I think to myself how times used to be without this technology. Even though the Internet has added much convenience to our lives, there’s something special about the simpler times we used to experience.
Here are 10 examples of the way life used to be before we were introduced to the Internet:
1. Back in the day, we depended on encyclopedias to do our research.
I can still remember looking through my grandparents' set of encyclopedias whenever I was curious about something.
2. Kids loved playing outside.
These days, kids aren't as interested in playing outside as they were before technology took over. I know of children as young as 5-years-old that spend several hours playing computer games. Some of these young kids even have their own iPad.
3. There was a time when we looked forward to renting a new release from our local video store, even though it was ALWAYS rented out.
Today, we have the luxury of renting the newest releases from the Internet and are able to watch them instantly. This is great, but not everyone has the capability to do this. This is why video stores are greatly missed.
4. We read actual books.
Yes, it's great that we now have the convenience of downloading our favorite books onto a handheld device, but there's something special about holding a physical book and flipping through its pages.
5. Years ago, people actually visited malls to do all of their shopping.
Some people still do all of their shopping at malls, but many have moved on to online shopping. Sadly, many shopping malls continue to close as online shopping continues to grow in popularity.
6. Our mail correspondence required a pen, paper and stamp.
Not anymore! Today, email lets us send letters to anyone without the need for a pen, paper and stamp.
7. More friendships were maintained in person.
Since social media didn't exist years ago, friends would actually meet up and hang out regularly. Nowadays, text messaging and Facebook chats are used to keep friendships going.
8. We waited until the following day to receive news updates through a newspaper.
Because of the Internet, we're now able to learn about the news the moment it happens.
9. We played actual board games with our family.
Playing an actual board game on Family Game Night is much better than playing an online version with a complete stranger. Wouldn't you agree?
10. Photos were mostly shared through scrapbooks and photo albums.
Now, many people upload their photos to online albums and share them with family and friends that live far away.
In what other ways has the Internet brought about change in our lives? Share your thoughts with us below!