Nevada May 30, 2017
11 Awkward Moments Every Nevadan Has Endured At Least Once
Everyone has experienced some sort of embarrassment and awkward moments in their lives. It’s an unavoidable fact. In Nevada, here are 11 awkward moments every one of us in the Silver State has experienced at least once. Usually more than once.
1. Correcting someone for their incorrect pronunciation of "Nevada."
Even subconsciously, we Nevadans cannot tolerate "Ne-VAH-duh." It's "Ne-VA-duh" and will correct mispronunciation. Repeatedly. Ad nauseum.
2. Explaining our convoluted and insane sports betting.
Nevadans will bet on anything sports-related. Who will win the coin toss in the Super Bowl? How many points will Steph Curry score in the third quarter of Game 3 of the NBA Western Conference Finals? How much rain will fall on day 3 of the Masters? Seriously. Nothing is off limits. Don't believe me? Pick up a parlay card next time you are in a Nevada sports book.
3. Mentioning the last haunted place we've visited.
Nevada is chock-full of haunted locations because ghosts are real whether you believe or not.
4. Talking about the burning man festival and having to explain we really aren't budding pyromaniacs or crazed arsonists.
The annual Burning Man Festival in Black Rock City celebrates art and community and closes with the burning of a wooden edifice.
5. Unconsciously repeating, "But it's a dry heat."
There's no explanation. We're programmed to do this. Like it really matters. Hot is hot.
6. Hearing "World Series" and immediately thinking poker.
Yeah, we know there's one in baseball too. But ... POKER! (And yes, we will still bet on MLB.)
7. Explaining that, of course, Elvis is still alive because we just saw him.
We saw him at the tourist center, or the bank, or downtown, or at the Jack in the Box drive thru, or steering a pink Cadillac down Fremont Street.
8. (For guys) Thinking a woman is interested in "us" only to realize she's a "working girl."
I cannot attest to the veracity of this surely awkward moment, but I have been told by several male friends that it's a common occurrence.
9. Forgetting what day of the week it is after hearing multiple people say, "Today's my Friday."
With the myriad schedules across the state thanks to 24-hour businesses, I'm amazed anyone can remember his or her schedule. Heck, I forget what day it is being a home-based freelance writer.
10. When you tell someone you're from or live in Nevada, and they ask you all about Las Vegas.
There are other cities in the Silver State, in case you were wondering.
11. Talking about your favorite dealer and getting strange looks.
But officer, I meant casino dealer.
Fortunately, Nevadans have a sense of humor to offset any awkward moments. And alcohol. And gambling. We’re good. Thoughts? Comments? Please share below.