Nebraska November 06, 2015
15 Thoughts Everyone In Nebraska Has When Winter Is Coming
It seems like we were just looking forward to fall…and now it’s already time to get ready for winter. It’s not such a bad time, really. The fields get to take a rest, everything gets all quiet and glowy, and we get to enjoy some quality time with family and friends. Still, we Nebraskans have a complicated relationship with winter. These are some of the things that go through our minds when we first realize that winter’s definitely on its way.
1. Is it seriously getting dark already?!
The sun is setting at 5:30. Great.
2. Where's my ice scraper/snow brush?
How do they always seem to disappear from one winter to the next?
3. Time to check the treads and pressure on the tires...or should I buy snow tires?
Some people swear by snow tires; others think they're a waste of money. Either way, you have to get that car ready for the snow, ice, and extreme cold.
4. I'd better start getting up 10 minutes earlier to warm up the car before work.
Thank goodness for remote start.
5. When will the hardware store start stocking ice melt?
I know I'm completely obsessive about it. I have to have a bucket full of the stuff - along with a plastic cup to scoop it out - before the first freezing rain hits.
6. We are NOT turning on the furnace until we can't feel our toes.
Heat is expensive! And it kind of feels like you're defeating winter somehow if you can hold off on firing up the furnace just a little longer.
7. How many blankets do we own, and can I fit them all on my bed at once?
Blankets - lots and lots of thick, cozy blankets - are the best way to combat the cold at home.
8. It had better not snow before Thanksgiving...but there'd better be snow on Christmas.
The almanac says there's not much of a risk of snow by Thanksgiving this year. But isn't it a pain when you have to trek through a foot of snow to get to Thanksgiving dinner?
9. I'd like the snow a lot more if it weren't so cold.
I say this at least ten times every winter. Snow is so pretty, and I don't even mind driving in it. I just really hate being cold.
10. At least there's always a chance for a snow day!
It seems like kids used to get a lot more snow days than they do now. When they do happen to get a day off thanks to winter weather, though, they know how to make the most of it!
11. We've got to drag out the heavy winter coats...
Hopefully you stored them well in the spring and they're ready to go on that first bitterly cold morning.
12. ...And the cozy fuzzy socks.
I LIVE in these socks all winter long!
13. We need to stock up on hot chocolate and marshmallows. Just in case we get snowed in.
Hot chocolate is a pretty important emergency supply.
14. Maybe this is the winter we'll finally take a vacation somewhere warm.
Somewhere with a beach, lots of sun, and drinks with umbrellas in them sounds so nice - especially when you're in the middle of shoveling snow.
15. Who am I kidding? There's no place like Nebraska, even in the cold and snow.
Yeah, we'll never go away for the winter. Snow, ice, and cold may be annoying, but Nebraska is a pretty great place to be even in the dead of winter.
It looks like we have a while before winter totally takes over, but it’s never too early to get ready! We can look forward to cozy nights in front of the fire (or in front of the TV), cuddled up with our loved ones and feeling grateful for having roofs over our heads. What are some thoughts you always have when winter is approaching? Sound off in the comments!