Nebraska January 18, 2017
17 Things Everyone Who’s Moved Away From Nebraska Has Thought At Least Once
Whether your family has been here for generations or you just moved here, Nebraska has a way of seeping into your soul. It becomes a part of you so that, no matter where you go, you take a little piece of this beautiful place with you. And if you have to leave, chances are you’ll think about it often. Just about everyone who has moved away from Nebraska has thought these things from time to time.
1. People really
are nicer in Nebraska.
Every once in a while you'll come across a person in Nebraska who doesn't hold the door open for the person behind them...but even more often you'll encounter the people who see you coming from half a block away and stand there patiently holding that door. We were just raised like that.
2. There's no sunset like a Nebraska sunset.
There's probably some sciencey reason for this having to do with our latitude and elevation and that kind of thing...but we'd prefer to think of it as magic.
3. When you leave, you realize that the summer night sounds different anywhere else.
The chirping of crickets, the buzzing of cicadas, and the resounding calls of bullfrogs are a part of us. Most of us don't realize just how important those sounds are until we move away and no longer hear them.
4. There's no night sky like the Nebraska night sky.
The dome of stars overhead is one of the most spectacular sights you'll ever see. It doesn't get any prettier than right here at home.
5. It's annoying when you're in it, but you actually miss the extreme wind once you leave.
It may sound crazy, but you get nostalgic for that powerful, blustery wind once you can no longer feel it.
6. There's nothing quite like driving on a dirt road for miles and miles and encountering no one but cattle.
Driving those country roads is like Nebraskan meditation.
7. It's really not summer without our beloved county fairs...
8. ...Sitting around a fire pit swapping stories...
9. ...and catching fireflies.
10. Winter is an adventure in Nebraska.
We know what to expect out of a Nebraska winter, but when and how severe it's going to be is always a surprise.
11. Wide open spaces are so underrated.
There are peace and privacy in these sparsely populated places. In denser areas you can start to feel crowded.
12. Nebraska's small towns are the absolute best.
They're full of quirky businesses, great people and small-town charm...and you won't find quite the same combination anywhere else.
13. Freshly cut alfalfa is what home smells like.
Other states grow alfalfa, but those fresh-cut fields don't smell quite the same outside of Nebraska.
14. Other states only wish they had our incredible summer storms.
You haven't really lived until you've stood outside in a sudden deluge, watching the sky boil and hearing low thunder rumble for miles.
15. Nebraska has its own unique feel.
The quiet stillness and the fresh air are so soothing to the soul.
16. You can always spot another Nebraskan, no matter where you are.
Is it the Huskers sweatshirt? The down-to-earth attitude? The constant nostalgia for Runzas? It's a mystery...but we can always spot each other even when we're away from home.
17. There's really no place like home.
When you move away, Nebraska is always with you. Coming home makes your heart a little lighter every time.
Have you moved away from Nebraska? What other thoughts have you had about our fair state after you leave? Share your experiences in the comments!