16 Reasons Why Nebraska Is The Most Underrated State In The US
Nebraska doesn’t get nearly the credit it deserves. It’s a great state to visit and to live in, but it’s often dismissed as one big, flat, boring cornfield. We know better, though – Nebraska is the perfect blend of vibrant, historic, down-home, modern, and traditional. Here’s why we think Nebraska is the most underrated state in the union.
1. The scenery honestly can't be beat.
Wide green spaces, gorgeous rivers, and incomparable sunrises and sunsets...you really have to see our little slice of heaven.
2. There's more to do here than you've ever imagined.
Have you ever heard that cow tipping is our only hobby? That's wrong on so many levels. We have amazing state parks, some of the most beautiful scenic rivers and lakes you'll ever see, excellent hiking trails, hip nightlife, and enough art and culture events to leave your head spinning.
3. You can't beat our enthusiasm - especially where college football is concerned.
Huskers fans are some of the most passionate people on the planet. Have you ever seen Memorial Stadium on game day? The roar coming from that sea of red is almost like a natural wonder unto itself.
4. In fact, Husker games are the best place in the country to throw (or attend) an amazing tailgate party.
Friendly, fun-loving people + great food + passionate fans = some of the best parties ever.
5. Speaking of sports, the College World Series calls Nebraska home.
And it's been here since 1950. Seems like the NCAA knows how great Nebraska is, right?
6. Our wineries are absolutely blowing up.
Who would have thought that Nebraska would be such a great place for vineyards? The wine being made in Nebraska is absolutely delicious - including a huge variety of fruit wines.
7. There's so much fascinating history here, you'll never get tired of learning more about it.
Just making your way through all of the history museums, historic attractions, and historic sites would take ages...and by the time you're done, you'll want to go over it all again.
8. We have world-class fine dining options.
You may not expect such high-class food in an agricultural state, but trust us: Nebraska has some truly bliss-inducing dining establishments.
9. But we also know how to do fast food right.
Runza? Broncos? Those little small-town burger joints that all seem to be named something like "Dairy Twist" or "Dairy Sweet" or "Dairy Creme?" All delicious.
10. Did we mention the beef?
Because Nebraska beef is seriously some of the best you'll ever taste.
11. Obviously, there's our amazing zoo.
Most people know about the Henry Doorly Zoo (also known as the best zoo in the world), but some people still don't believe how awesome it is until they see it in person. It's worth the trip, no matter how far you have to travel.
12. And our music scene is incredibly vibrant.
We've been making great music for decades, and we won't slow down anytime soon.
13. This guy, who could live literally anywhere in the world, chooses to stay in Omaha, his hometown.
And if you're out and about in the city, you just might see him hanging out, being a normal guy. If Warren Buffett gives Nebraska his seal of approval, that should tell you something.
14. Nebraska was named the #3 state in the nation for young people age 20-24.
MoneyRates.com measured metrics like unemployment rates among this age group, livability, and affordability - and Nebraska came out #3 in the nation. Come on, recent college grads - Nebraska is a great place to put down roots.
15. The cost of living in Nebraska is consistently quite a bit lower than the national average.
Taking everything into account, Nebraska's cost of living is 22% lower than the national average. We get to keep more of our hard-earned money while still living in an amazing place.
16. We have some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet.
It's the people who really make a place worth living in, right? Well, you'll have a hard time finding a state with nicer, friendlier, more down-to-earth people than right here in Nebraska.
See? We’ve got a lot more to offer than most people think. What do you think makes Nebraska the most underrated state in the country? Add your reasons below in the comments.
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.