Nebraska March 14, 2017
16 Things You Quickly Learn When You Move To Nebraska
Whether you’re moving here for school, for a great job opportunity, or to be near family, welcome to Nebraska! You’re making a great choice by moving to the best state in the country. There are some things about our fine state that, if you don’t know them already, you’ll catch on to pretty quickly.
1. There's a lot more to the state than the flat nothing you can see from I-80.
People who have only been here on the interstate are always surprised to realize that there's a lot more to see.
2. The east and west sides of the state couldn't be more different.
From the badlands in the far west to the sandhills in the middle to the cities and river bluffs in the east, Nebraska is far more varied than you might expect.
3. And likewise, Nebraskans themselves are very diverse people.
From cowboys to CEOs, we've got all types. You can't put us in a box!
4. It's basically impossible to live here without a car.
Even in the more urban areas, everything is pretty spread out here. Unless you're living on a college campus, it's going to be pretty difficult to get anywhere on foot or bike.
5. It's pointless to try to drive in Lincoln on game day.
There's a long-running saying that Memorial Stadium becomes the third-largest city in the state on game days, and it's totally accurate - there are so many people clogging the streets you're better off just not trying to go out.
6. You'd better have an emergency kit in the back of that car.
This is a winter essential - you need all sorts of stuff to budge your car when it's stuck in the snow, clean off the windshield, jump a battery, and survive in case you get stuck somewhere.
7. Anything above 50 degrees is shorts weather.
Even if there's still snow on the ground. Even if we have to wear sweatshirts at the same time.
8. Our favorite foods are sometimes quirky.
We like tomato juice in our beer and cinnamon rolls with our chili. You'll learn to love them!
9. We're fiercely loyal to our favorite restaurants.
Is Valentino's the best pizza in the world? Probably not, but we love it anyway because it's Nebraskan and we grew up eating it. (Runzas, however,
will talk to you, and it would be weird of you to not talk back.
This goes beyond a cordial "Hi, how are you?" and often extends into entire conversations. And it's actually quite nice.
11. There's always some kind of festival going on.
Whether it's for a holiday, a town's birthday, or for some weird made-up celebration that everyone loves, you can always find something fun to do in Nebraska.
12. We're really into history, both ancient and recent.
We have museums covering time periods from millions of years ago up to just a few decades ago. And that's not even including all of our lovely art museums and fun places like the roller skating museum or the telephone museum.
13. We admire our athletes, but we know the real heroes are the ranchers and the farmers.
They're the foundation of our economy, and we're eternally grateful for their hard work.
14. In most towns, the neighborhood bar or restaurant is the one and only nightlife opportunity.
You'll see the same folks there every night, shooting the breeze with friends and neighbors.
15. You're expected to return that farmer wave each and every time you see it.
It's this simple polite gesture that makes driving in the country extra friendly.
16. We'll be loyal to Nebraska until the day we die.
Even if you leave again, Nebraska will always be in your heart.
Now that you know what to expect when you move to Nebraska, find out
how living here will ruin you for life.