Nebraska November 23, 2016
It’s Not Christmas In Nebraska Until You Do These 15 Enchanting Things
Like it or not, you’ve got to admit: it’s very nearly Christmas. Personally, I love this time of year and all of the great traditions that come with it. I consider these activities to be a Christmas bucket list of sorts. We can’t all do every one of these things every year, but in a perfect world, it just wouldn’t be Christmas until you’ve accomplished these things.
1. Drive around looking at everyone's Christmas light displays.
...And wonder aloud how crazy their electricity bill must be.
2. Put up a dazzling display of your own.
Even if you can't match your neighbor's spectacle, you can make your own house cheery and festive.
3. See a school or community production of
A Christmas Carol, The Nutcracker, or another fun holiday performance.
Seeing your kids or grandkids in their school recitals is definitely the best!
4. Go caroling - or at least listen to some carolers.
You can't help but smile when you see your friends and neighbors singing their hearts out on a cold December night.
5. Stroll through the Christmas decorations on Main Street at night.
Take someone you love and it can be a magical, inexpensive date.
6. Stuff yourself at a Christmas potluck.
Offices, community centers, churches, families...everyone's doing potlucks this time of year, so take advantage.
7. Go to a holiday craft fair.
Even if you don't buy anything, it's so much fun to walk around looking at the Christmas crafts.
8. Participate in a cookie exchange.
Or just make and eat a ton of Christmas cookies - we won't judge.
9. Visit Minden, the Christmas City.
If you live close enough to Minden to stop in for a visit, I highly recommend it. It's magical.
10. Drink as much hot cocoa as your heart desires.
Or mulled wine, hard eggnog, or spiked cider for the grownups who need a little liquid courage to get through the holiday season.
11. Have a serious discussion about the Christmas forecast.
"Will it be a white Christmas this year?"
"Well, let me pull out my farmer's almanac..."
12. Visit a tree farm, then bring home and decorate the perfect tree.
Or just pull the artificial tree out of the closet. It's the sentiment that counts.
13. Go on a stealthy Christmas shopping trip.
Don't forget to find a great hiding spot for all of those gifts.
14. Visit Santa.
Young or old, everybody loves Santa!
15. Help someone less fortunate than you.
This might be the most important Christmas tradition of all.
How many of these traditions do you and your family share? If you’re looking for more fun things to do this season, check out these
10 charming Christmas towns in Nebraska.