Nebraska October 17, 2015
10 Undeniable Reasons Why The World Wouldn’t Be The Same Without Nebraska
Besides being a great place to live, Nebraska has given and continues to give the world some fantastic things. If you ever find yourself taking our home state for granted, just imagine what the world would be like without these Cornhusker State contributions.
1. World War II may have turned out a lot differently.
The Naval Ammunition Depot near Hastings supplied 40% of the Navy's ammunition during the war. The location was ideal, being right between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. Who knows how the war may have been affected if the big ammunition manufacturing plants had been located somewhere else?
2. America's agricultural landscape would be very different.
We supply the world with high-quality meat and grains, all of which thrive in our state's climate. The world would definitely be poorer for the absence of our farms and ranches.
3. There wouldn't be a single state with a unicameral legislature.
Say what you will about our state's government - it's unique if nothing else.
4. College football would be a lot less interesting.
Especially this season - oh, boy, what would everyone be talking about if not for the Huskers' latest performance?
5. We wouldn't have Kool-Aid...or the Tin Roof Sundae...or the Rueben...
Besides all of the
that have come out of Nebraska, plenty of delicious foods have been invented here. Where would summer be without ice cold Kool-Aid?!
6. Arbor Day wouldn't exist.
There were several factors that contributed to the birth of Arbor Day, but the plains of Nebraska inspired J. Sterling Morton and his wife Caroline to populate the state with miles and miles of trees.
8. ...And some other place would have the honor of containing the world's largest hand-planted forest.
For as flat and boring as Nebraska is thought to be, we do actually have a pretty impressive national forest, and it was originally planted by hand.
7. Steak eaters would be deprived of the absolute best.
Nebraska beef is ridiculously tasty...where would steak lovers be without the melt-in-your-mouth meat grown right here?
9. Limestone would be in short supply.
The country's largest limestone deposit is located in Weeping Water in Cass County. The stone is used for all kinds of applications all over the U.S.
10. Where would the College World Series be held?
Nebraska has been home to the CWS since 1950. Our state's central location makes it the perfect gathering place for athletes and their fans.
What else just wouldn’t be the same if not for Nebraska? Share your thoughts in the comments.