Montana May 04, 2017
9 Reasons This Montana Town Makes The Perfect Weekend Escape
What are your plans for the weekend? When you call beautiful Montana home, it’s nice to see as much of it as possible. Getting out of town for a couple of days and exploring a new place is both fun and exciting.
When you think of the perfect weekend getaway destination, Lewistown may not be the first place that comes to mind. But this Central Montana gem is actually pretty great, and if it’s been awhile since you’ve been, take a road trip to the place where the mountains meet the plains.
1. You'll want to head straight to The Coffee Cup for a latte (or a smoothie) and a little shopping.
Located at 322 W Main Street, the Coffee Cup is the perfect place to start a weekend in Lewistown. Their smoothies are second to none, and if you're hungry, you can snack on pastries or sandwiches while you browse.
2. The Lewistown Art Center is an underrated gem.
Through art, education and events, the center promotes all things creative to the community. They offer a new gallery show each month, so their art is always fresh and new.
3. The Bon Ton Soda Fountain is a timeless treasure.
This 50s style diner and soda fountain is a must-see. They're open from 11-8 six days a week (closed Sundays), so you'll have plenty of time to stop in for a treat.
4. Visit the Bear Gulch Pictographs to learn more about Montana's past.
The site is located about 23 miles southeast of Lewistown, and the 2,000 pictographs paint a picture of ancient Native American life. Visitors of all ages are welcome, and tours are available from Wednesday-Saturday.
5. Check out the Central Montana Historical Museum to learn more about Lewistown's early days.
The museum is open seasonally, and beginning Memorial Day weekend you'll be able to visit any day of the week.
6. When you see this neon sign, step inside for a steak or a cocktail (or both).
The Mint Bar & Grill is a Lewistown icon.
7. You can rest your head at a beautiful historic hotel.
The Calvert Hotel has classic character, and inside you'll find beautifully restored rooms with modern amenities.
8. Sunrises from The Calvert look like this.
Sometimes early rising pays off.
9. Last but not least, the Charlie Russell Chew Choo is an experience no Montanan should miss.
The entertaining 3.5 hour dinner train is Lewistown's crowning glory, and it's an adventure worth taking.
Weekend getaways are great excuses to explore more parts of our beautiful state. Here’s a list of more
Montana towns that are always worth a visit.