Spend A Summer Day At Storm Lake, One Of Montana's True Hidden Gems
It’s no secret that Montana is home to some of the best lakes in the U.S. — and we also know that nothing beats spending a day enjoying their freshwater shorelines and cool, refreshing waters. But while most tourists flock to our well-known bodies of water like Flathead Lake, the hidden gems tucked away in small towns in Montana stay quiet and peaceful. If you have yet to make the hike to Storm Lake in Montana, make this the year you go. It’s truly one of the best hidden gems in Montana!
So, did you know about Storm Lake in Montana? Ever hiked to it? If so, what’d you think? Share your experiences with us! Is Storm Lake too far from your home for a quick day trip? Consider turning your visit into an overnight adventure by booking lodging through VRBO, which offers accommodations of all sorts.
Looking for more beautiful Montana lakes? Check out our article highlighting the best lakes in Montana.
More to Explore
Storm Lake In Montana
Aside from Storm Lake in Montana, what are some other hidden gems in Montana?
There are tons of amazing hidden gems in Montana, including:
- Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument: While not hidden exactly, this historical site is often less visited compared to other national parks. It commemorates the Battle of Little Bighorn and offers a solemn reflection on this significant event in American history.
- The Rimrocks: A dramatic geological feature located on the outskirts of Billings, The Rimrocks offer a peaceful escape from the city (as well as sweeping views). The cliffs rise up hundreds of feet over the Yellowstone River and they're truly spectacular.
- Passage Falls: Nestled in the Gallatin National Forest of Montana, Passage Falls is a hidden gem accessed via a scenic trail that winds through lush alpine meadows and dense forests. The falls cascade gracefully over rocky ledges, creating a tranquil and picturesque setting for hikers who venture into this remote and pristine wilderness.
What are the best small towns in Montana?
There are lots of lovely small towns in Montana. Here are some of the best small towns in Montana:
- Whitefish, Montana: Nestled near Glacier National Park, Whitefish is a popular town known for its outdoor recreational opportunities, including skiing, hiking, and water activities on Whitefish Lake. The charming downtown area has a vibrant atmosphere with shops, galleries, and restaurants.
- Livingston, Montana: Despite being a small town, Livingston is known for a thriving arts scene, with numerous galleries and the historic Shane Lalani Center for the Arts. It's also close to the Yellowstone River, providing opportunities for fishing and other outdoor activities.
- Red Lodge, Montana: This town is located at the gateway to the Beartooth Highway and Yellowstone National Park – its location isn’t the only thing that makes Red Lodge one of the best small towns in Montana, though. The town also has a charming downtown area with historic buildings, and with hiking, skiing, and scenic drives, it’s a hub for outdoor enthusiasts.