St. Louis February 28, 2018
9 Undeniable Habits That No St. Louisan Can Ever Unlearn
St. Louisans share their hometown, but they also share a few unusual habits. Life in St. Louis has provided unknowing locals with an unusual set of behaviors that is unique to the region. Are you a St. Louisan? See how many of these unshakable habits you have adopted:
1. Wear shorts and short sleeves once it reaches 40 degrees.
Okay, so not
all St. Louisans do this, but enough have adopted this unusual behavior for locals to take notice. Once St. Louis winter subsides, many locals begin to dress as if a bit of sunshine and a windless 40-degree day is as warm as a day on the beach. Some locals try to compensate for the lingering chill by wearing an oversized sweatshirt with their shorts.
2. Many a St. Louisan get practically rabid during baseball season...
3. ...And then we transfer that over-the-top energy to rooting for the Blues.
4. You call people "hoosiers..."
It has nothing to do with a place of origin and everything to do with your lifestyle and our general impression of it.
5. In St. Louis speak, vowels are not what they seem.
We have an unusual habit of turning the letter "O" into an "A" in our daily speech. We use farks and drive on farty four, though not usually at the same time.
6. Oh, and we call Interstate 64 by its state route name.
I-64? Oh, you mean Route 44.
7. We frequently ask where you went to high school and firmly believe that it matters.
High school shapes your adult life, right? Us St. Louisans have to get an idea of who we're dealing with.
8. You keep your snow boots handy all year long.
I'd rather be safe and warm than sorry. You never know when snow is going to visit St. Louis.
9. We don't lose our heads when someone bumps into us... we just offer an apologetic "ope."
So this habit may exist all over the Midwest, but St. Louisans do it with a certain pizazz.
Life in St. Louis is a dream, but the locals are a bit quirky. Not in a bad way
— St. Louisans are actually some of the best people you’ll ever meet — but we’re certainly a breed all our own. What would you add to our list?
Love the zaniness of The Gateway City? Just wait until you visit its most
spectacularly bizarre attractions.