Missouri September 16, 2015
12 Undeniable Ways You Know You’re From The State Of Missouri
Besides the inability to agree on the pronunciation of Missouri (Missouree? Missouruh?) or decide if we are mid-westerners or southerners (or maybe both), here are a few other signs that you are from Missouri.
1. Unpredictable weather changes are just a part of life and don't faze you a bit.
Especially in the spring and fall, you might start out with a jacket and end up in shorts or vice versa. It's always good to wear layers. Also, talking about the weather is just something you do.
2. Whether a Cardinals fan or a Royals fan, you are serious about your baseball.
With two major league teams representing the state, many Missourians choose a side and feel very strongly about that choice.
3. You have ever been frog-gigging.
A gig is a long pole tipped with a multi-pronged spear and frog gigging involves hunting bullfrogs at night with these tools. It’s one of the “southern”-type things Missourians do.
4. You prefer your pizza made with Provel cheese.
St. Louis-style pizza is made with a white processed cheese that is a mixture of cheddar, swiss and provolone. It's an acquired taste, so if you love it, you are probably from Missouri.
5. You think Burnt Ends are delicious.
A staple of Kansas City barbecue, burnt ends are flavorful pieces of meat cut from a beef brisket and served up well done.
6. You have regular cravings for toasted ravioli.
Just like regular ravioli, but breaded and deep-fried and usually served with marinara sauce. This was created and popularized in St. Louis and is absolutely delicious.
7. You think the Gateway Arch is a bit over-rated.
You wait for a ridiculously long time only to ride to the top in a claustrophobia-inducing pod to the top. Sure, it's a great view, but once you've done it once, you are pretty over it.
8. You drink Budweiser almost exclusively.
Proud to be the home of the enormously popular beer, Bud was introduced in St. Louis in 1876.
9. You are a spelunker.
As "The Cave State", there are tons of places to go exploring, and chances are if you are from Missouri you have done it, maybe a lot.
10. "Floating" and "Float Trips" are one of your favorite pastimes.
Floating outfitters operate on 29 rivers and streams throughout Missouri. A float trip involves literally floating along in a boat or raft for several miles. This usually also involves Budweiser, but doesn't have to.
11. Gooey Butter Cake is found at all major family functions.
Gooey butter cake is a flat, dense cake made flour, butter, sugar, and eggs, typically near an inch tall, and dusted with powdered sugar. Chances are if you are from Missouri, there is a family recipe.
12. You have ever been stuck driving behind a tractor.
Farming is a big part of Missouri life, and it's not uncommon to find yourself caught behind a slow-moving tractor, unable to pass.
What are some other signs of being a Missouri native? Do you agree with the above? Share in the comments below.