Kansas City October 30, 2017
11 Extremely Weird Things Only People From Kansas City Do
We all know just how awesome our city is, but have you picked up on some of the weird things we do? We have eternal construction on our roads and some not-so-great drivers, but are there weird things unique to Kansas Citians? Let’s find out.
1. Bring a coat and umbrella everywhere just in case, even if we're wearing shorts.
Odds are you'll get sprinkled on at the zoo, find yourself freezing after dinner, and you'll be wishing you had an umbrella or coat. Thank goodness most of us know to keep one nearby!
2. Ignore tornado watches like they're no big deal.
They usually aren't anything, and even if it was, you should get pictures, right?
3. Devote ourselves to our favorite BBQ like it's going out of business.
Barbecue is an important thing to many in the city, and there's yearly competitions for a reason.
4. Defend our teams no matter how they may be doing.
Win or lose, red or blue, we're rooting for you.
5. We add an "s" on the end of businesses like JC Penney.
I have no idea who taught me this, but everyone I've ever met here says "JC Penneys," adding an "s" to the name, as well as all sorts of other places.
6. Argue over where the city's really located.
It's in both states, as much as we'd rather it pick a side already. However, neither side likes your Wizard of Oz references.
7. We prefer our barbecue burnt sometimes.
all of it needs to be burnt, just the flavorful little Burnt Ends. Those are just the best!
8. Claim we don't have an accent; everyone else does.
I mean, obviously... how could we have an accent if we all sound the same?
9. We specifically seek out the freshest produce possible.
Forget going to the store, if the farmer's market isn't open, what's the point?
10. We serve iced tea year-round.
Sweetened or unsweetened, that is the question.
11. We love our city more than anywhere else in the world.
It's just strange to see a city with so much pride overflowing at every opportunity. We love it here!
How many of these were true for you? Tell us in the comments below. Then, check out
this list of things tourists do here in KC.