Mississippi February 14, 2017
Mississippians Are The Best At These 11 Things, Hands Down
We’re not typically big on bragging about ourselves, but the fact is that Mississippians are pretty amazing folk. In fact, we’re the best at these 11 things, hands down.
1. We make the best root beer.
Invented in 1898, Barq’s Root Beer is the best, hands down. And it was created by Edward Adolf Barq, Sr., right here in Biloxi.
2. Root beer isn’t our only specialty. We had a pretty big hand in bringing Coca-Cola to the public, too.
The first Coca Cola was bottled in Vicksburg...and the rest is history.
3. People breathe better because of Mississippi.
In 1963, The University of Mississippi Medical Center announced that Dr. James Hardy had successfully completed the first ever lung transplant. His feat has saved countless lives since.
4. We’re the best at fishing, hands down.
We teach ‘em young here, and we’ve pretty much mastered the art of fishing. We’re rewarded with some incredibly tasty dinners!
5. In fact, we’re almost as good at fishing as we are at hunting.
The joke that we teach our kids to shoot a gun before they can walk isn’t
that far off. There’s so much wildlife here - from ducks to deer to wild boar. And of course, if you don’t want to shoot an animal, you can always plink on tin cans.
6. Mississippians Are The Epitome Of Southern Hospitality.
If you want to see a true Southern Belle or Southern Gentleman, look no further than the Magnolia State.
7. We’re groundbreaking innovators.
From clean energy to space travel, Mississippi is the best at innovation. Stennis Space Center tested engines for the Apollo program, and our state continues to invent, improve and innovate in the science sphere.
8. Mississippians know what to do with themselves on Sundays.
Mississippi is one of the most religious states in the nation, with over 60 percent of Mississippians reporting that they consider themselves "very religious." The Magnolia State is also home to a large population of Baptists.
9. We’re the best at Mississippi Mud Pie
Other states try to replicate our signature dessert, but they fail miserably in comparison. You can only get real Mississippi Mud Pie in one place...Mississippi!
10. Mississippi rules ballet.
Jackson, Mississippi is the only American city sanctioned to hold the International Ballet Competition. Ballerinas from all over the world show up here to dance their hearts out.
11. Mississippians take care of their kin.
Family is everything to Mississippians, and we’re the best at taking care of our kin.
What other things are Mississippians great at? Tell us in the comments!
Need more proof that Mississippians are the best? Here are
11 reasons we’re the best kind of people.