Detroit October 12, 2020
by Sophie Boudreau These 11 Photos of Detroit In The 1970s Are Mesmerizing
Do you ever find yourself daydreaming about days gone by? No matter how much we love our modern life in the Motor City, there’s something uniquely exciting about checking out vintage photographs of Detroit. As we look to the future, it’s important to remember our past – and these 13 fascinating photos of the Motor City in the 1970s will sweep you back on a journey through the decades.
1. Did you ever stop in for a drink at the Elwood Bar during the 1970s? This iconic spot, shown here in the mid-70s, is still standing and serves plenty of tasty diner fare.
2. Ford has always played a major role in Detroit’s workforce, employing hundreds of thousands of local workers throughout the generations. This shot from 1973 offers a glimpse of the city’s industrial activity.
3. Detroiters of all ages wait to board the SS St. Clair during a fun Bob-lo Island adventure in the early 70s. Do you have memories of exploring this once-bustling island amusement park?
4. Wilson’s Dairy, shown here in ‘76, was once a neighborhood fixture, offering sweet treats and dairy products to Detroiters of all ages. Did you ever stop by to shop or simply pick up a gallon of milk?
5. This black and white scene was captured back in the fall of 1970. It shows the Detroit Orchestra Hall, situated at 3711 Woodward Avenue.
6. Taken in the summer of 1973, this photo shows newly produced automobiles in Detroit being loaded onto railroad cars for distribution. Do you recognize any of these makes or models?
7. The famous Guardian Building was once known as the Union Trust Building. This image from 1979 shows a basement entrance, complete with intricate gold gates.
8. Greenfield Village in Dearborn has always been one of our favorite places near Detroit for a fun day trip. This was also the case for past Detroiters, some of whom enjoyed this military reenactment in 1973.
9. Did you or any of your loved ones work on the auto assembly line during decades past? This scene shows a Cadillac employee installing a transmission during another hard day’s work in the early ‘70s.
10. Most of us have checked out the long-standing Cadieux Cafe at least once. This mini photo collage shows the interior of the cafe as it appeared back in the 1970s.
11. Detroit has hosted plenty of amazing musical events throughout the years. This photo shows Queen playing at Cobo Hall in 1977. Were you lucky enough to attend this concert in person?
Did these photos stir up any fun memories of the 1970s in Detroit? We’re always excited to hear from you, so share your thoughts with us by leaving a Facebook comment. If you’d like to recommend a must-see spot in Metro Detroit, fill out our official nomination form
If you’re a history buff, you’ll love reading about the
oldest church in Detroit.
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.
Address: Detroit, MI, USA