Massachusetts December 26, 2016
16 Weird Questions That Only Massachusetts Natives Can Answer
There are some questions that just don’t make any sense unless you’re in Massachusetts. Every state has their own peculiar quirks, and the Bay State is no exception. Can you answer these questions that speak to the heart of what it means to be a Masshole?
We’re aware that these uncertain times are limiting many aspects of life. While we continue to feature destinations that make our state wonderful, please take proper precautions or add them to your bucket list to see at a later date. If you know of a local business that could use some extra support during these times, please nominate them here:
1. When is Evacuation Day? And why is everyone wearing green?
Evacuation Day is honored in in Suffolk County (read: Boston) on March 17. It celebrated the day when British troops finally left the city during the American Revolutionary War. Locals know it’s basically a way to rationalize taking a day off for St. Patrick’s Day.
2. What is a “coffee regular?”
Coffee with cream and sugar. Nothing fancy, and guaranteed to keep that pre-work coffee line at Dunks as short as possible.
3. Finish this sentence: “The fried clams were so salty, I needed a drink at the _______.”
If you answered “bubbler” or even “bubblah,” you’re alright.
4. What can you buy at a package store?
It's our super fancy name for a plain ol' liquor store.
5. What's the most disappointing field trip in the country?
Hey, even a trip to Plymouth Rock is still a field trip. We weren't complaining.
6. What’s the proper name for chocolate sprinkles?
Jimmies. Team jimmies for life.
7. When does Happy Hour start around here?
8. An annual bear migration occurs in which part of Massachusetts?
Provincetown's Bear Week has been a roaring good time for attendees of all persuasions for years.
9. Where’s the tunnel to the Cape?
Tourists are always asking us this one, and we're more than happy to help. It's just past the Sagamore Bridge. You can’t miss it.
10. Who's the king of roast beef?
That would be Kelly's of Revere, of course. Their slogan is "Creator of the Original Roast Beef Sandwich," so they probably know what they're doing.
11. When was the Curse reversed?
On that most hallowed of days: October 27, 2004.
12. Why did you just order a cabinet for dessert?
Because it’s a delicious blend of coffee ice cream, coffee syrup and milk. That’s why.
13. What does the E stand for in The Big E?
It's the Big Eastern States Exposition, one of the largest fairs in New England and a summer tradition.
14. How many syllables in the word “frappe?”
Only out-of-staters will be tempted to say “frap-ay."
15. What's the stickiest sandwich in the universe?
Why, a fluffernutter of course.
16. Can you pahk the cah in Hahvad yahd?
Dear God, no, no you cannot.
If you liked this, check out these
16 questions people when they find out you’re from Massachusetts. always ask