There are certain things about making your home here in the Bay State that pretty much guarantee you’ll have a hard time adjusting to living anywhere else. When it comes to living in Massachusetts, we’re all a little spoiled. Here are some of the ways in which Bay Staters might have it a little
1. With rolling mountains, scenic farmlands, cool forests and sparkling beaches, we’re used to having the best of all worlds.
Unlike other states that basically look the same throughout, living in Massachusetts means that you can ski in the mountains one day and then head to the ocean the next.
2. We have over 1,500 miles of beautiful coastline.
That’s a lot of beach days. Living in this state means always being within a few hours drive of the water.
3. There’s decent coffee pretty much everywhere.
Forget Starbucks – with so many amazing little cafes and coffee shops (not to mention roughly a billion Dunkin’ Donuts) you can basically get your daily caffeine anywhere.
4. If you’ve lived here a while, you’re pretty much trained to listen for sarcasm.
Traveling to places where everyone isn't so sarcastic might be a bit confusing. People actually meaning what they say takes some getting used to.
5. We’re incredibly spoiled when it comes to seafood.
If you haven’t traveled much, you may not even realize how amazing Massachusetts seafood actually is, and how tough it is to find fresh and delicious fish (for a reasonable price) when you’re living far inland. We have it so good here
6. Especially in terms of lobster and clams.
Have you ever had a lobster roll in Kansas? It’s just not the same. Ditto for fried clams and oysters.
7. Plus, you’ll definitely miss the local snacks.
Crispy Cape Cod Potato Chips, creamy Hoodsie Cups, real maple syrup, farm-fresh apples, tart cranberry jelly and sticky saltwater taffy make the flavors of Massachusetts truly unique.
8. We’re very used to our sports teams dominating.
No matter which major sport you follow, Massachusetts regularly pulls off win after win. That means we’ve grown pretty accustomed to game day celebrations and playoff cookouts. Duck Boat parade anyone?
9. There’s really nothing like a Massachusetts sunrise or sunset.
Whether you’re on the beach or in the Berkshires, you can’t top the show we get here every morning and night.
10. Visiting our tiny towns make you feel like you’re stepping into a postcard.
With the likes of Provincetown, Salem, Stockbridge, Newburyport, Shelburne Falls, Hull and plenty others, there’s no shortage of spots that looks like they’re a painting come to life.
11. As much as we like to complain about winter, you’ll miss having all your seasons if you leave.
A snowy winter, a bright spring, a glorious summer and a colorful fall. We really do have it all.
12. Speaking of winter, we do the holidays like nowhere else.
Christmas here is like walking through a Dickens novel. There’s nothing that can rival walking through a snowy Massachusetts town and admiring the sparkling lights and festive decoration.
13. Of course, there’s so much to love here that you’ll probably never want to leave.
It’s just one of the hazards of living in this amazing state.
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.