Massachusetts October 16, 2017
13 Unwritten Rules Every Massachusetts Native Lives By ‘Til Death
While there may not be an official guide to living in Massachusetts, there certainly are plenty of unwritten rules that help us Bay Staters get along each day. From dealing with the weather to dealing with each other, here are some unspoken commandments that we all (mostly) adhere to.
1. The actual weather will never match the morning report. Never.
This is just a fact of life in Massachusetts. It definitely keeps things interesting.
2. Leaf peeping is a legitimate weekend activity.
Making actual plans to drive around and admire the fall foliage is totally normal.
3. You're required to eat this stuff with a little wooden spoon.
Even if you're a grownup. And we sure do love our Hood (or your brand of choice).
4. You don't go to the Big E on a full stomach.
And miss out on all that incredible battered, fried, glazed, sugared and whipped goodness? No way.
5. Always keep an ice scraper in your car.
Think you can ditch the scraper come April? Think again.
6. It’s not summer unless there’s a bit of sand in all your shoes.
7. Be on high-alert for potholes at all times.
Dodging potholes on the highway and on backroads is a skill and we’re all masters.
8. Tomatoes have no place in clam chowder.
Take that stuff back to New York.
9. The chocolate ones are called jimmies.
Sprinkles are the rainbow kind. This is an important distinction that we will defend to the death.
10. If you’re making a coffee run, you’re going to Dunks.
There’s no better way to make friends and influence people than walking into the office with a container of Munchkins and a cardboard box of hot Dunkin’ Donuts coffee.
11. Thou shalt not disrespect our sports teams.
That includes wearing a Yankees cap to game night. Not cool.
12. Sports gear is acceptable going-out attire.
If you’re headed out for a few drinks or a bite to eat with friends, you’re probably fine donning a sports jersey in most casual settings.
13. Keep that hometown pride strong.
What other unspoken rules would you add to this list? For more Massachusetts humor,
check out these nine phrases that will make you swear Bay Staters have their own language.