Massachusetts January 20, 2017
13 Things Everyone Who’s Moved Away From Massachusetts Has Thought At Least Once
Maybe you moved away for work. Perhaps school prompted the relocation, or maybe you just wanted to get out there and explore the world. No matter what your reason for leaving, one thing is definitely true: sometimes, you wish you could just click your ruby slippers together and be whisked back to the Bay State. We get it, which is why we’ve assembled this list of thoughts Massachusetts ex-pats will definitely have after leaving home.
1. “I don’t want a whole doughnut…I just want a munchkin. Where are the munchkins?!”
Legends tell of some states that don’t even have Dunkin’ Donuts. Shiver.
2. “Are people seriously worried about getting a measly foot of snow?”
When you’re raised in New England, snow is no big deal.
3. "I can't believe I'm thinking this, but I actually miss waking up to a fresh, beautiful blanket of snow."
But not the shoveling. You will probably never miss the shoveling.
4. “Summers aren’t the same without Hoodsie Cups, frappes and saltwater taffy.”
From cold and drippy, to sweet and sticky, these classic Massachusetts treats just aren’t as common in other states.
5. “I have to drive HOW far to get to the beach?”
When you’re coming from somewhere with miles and miles of coastline (not to mention the world-class beach destination that is Cape Cod), it’s hard not to get spoiled about easy access to the ocean.
6. “There’s no way the team here could ever beat the Patriots/Red Sox/Bruins/Celtics.”
Our sports teams are legendary, and you’re bound to miss winning all the time.
7. “I could really go for some clam chowder right about now.”
There are so many ways to make chowder, and none of them compare to the old-fashioned you’ll find in Massachusetts.
8. “There’s no sunset like a Massachusetts sunset.”
It must be something about the crisp air. Or maybe the sea. Or perhaps the mountains.
9. “I wish people here were as dependable as folks back in Massachusetts.”
We may have our quirks, but Massachusetts natives can always be counted on for a helping hand, an honest conversation and a clever joke.
10. “I wish I had appreciated having all four seasons.”
We joke about our long winters, but the truth is that Massachusetts actually does experience four seasons. If you move further south or north, you might miss out on some of that variety.
11. “The holidays really are more magical back home.”
Cozy colonial villages, Christmas lights and snow falling in the Berkshires. It doesn’t get more enchanting than that.
12. “Things are just simpler back home.”
There’s nothing like small town living in Massachusetts. You know what the specials are at your favorite neighborhood restaurant, you know your postman’s name and you know which station you can find your local college football game on.
13. “There’s really no place like home.”
Massachusetts is totally unique, and it’s not hard to see why so many people miss it when they’re gone.
No matter how far you wander, the Bay State will always be here to welcome you back. If you’re feeling the homesick, check out
these 12 reasons that Massachusetts will alway be home.