Massachusetts February 26, 2017
15 Things Massachusetts Natives Do That Seem Insane To Everyone Else
Every state has its quirks, and Massachusetts is no different. There are some things that natives here do that would probably seem strange, wacky or downright insane to anyone not in the know. Here are a few things that Bay Staters do every day that might make outsiders raise their eyebrows.
1. We measure distance in time rather than miles. As in "it’s about 45 minutes to Tanglewood from here."
2. Our method of giving directions is also pretty unique: "Head straight until you see Dunks, take the right just before the next Dunkin’ and you’ll see it right across from the big Dunks on the corner."
3. We eat ice cream with a tiny wooden tongue depressor.
4. We can get a little...um...fired up about our age-old rivalries.
5. We don't mind getting our liquor from somewhere called The Bunghole.
6. We believe that Rs and Hs are pretty much the same thing.
7. Some of us think that basically everything should be offered in pastel...
8. ...while others believe that everything is better with a dash of the Patriots.
9. We have unique methods of chilling our drinks in the winter.
10. We expect fellow drivers telepathically understand when we’re about to change lanes. Turn signals are for the weak.
11. And for some people, "the bird" is practically an official traffic hand signal.
12. We consider ourselves to be bilingual in English and sarcasm.
13. We'll go to extreme lengths to make sure everyone knows how much we support our sports teams.
14. We let our kids get a little dirty out in nature without worrying too much.
15. We think Massachusetts is the best state in the nation, and no one can convince us otherwise.
Not everything you hear about Massachusetts natives should be believed. Check out
these 12 stereotypes about Bay Staters that are absolutely not true.