Deep In The Forests Of Massachusetts, There’s A Magical Fungus That Glows In The Dark
Unless you’ve spent a lot of time in the woods of Massachusetts after dark, you might not know about the magical glowing fungus that is native to this state.
The bitter oyster mushroom is truly a marvel of nature. Here’s what to look out for on your next midnight stroll through the forest.
We’re aware that these uncertain times are limiting many aspects of life. While we continue to feature destinations that make our state wonderful, please take proper precautions or add them to your bucket list to see at a later date. If you know of a local business that could use some extra support during these times, please nominate them here: onlyinyourstate.com/nominate
Bitter oyster mushrooms are not poisonous, but they’re extremely bitter and can cause uncomfortable dryness of the mouth.
Please note that you should never eat mushrooms or fungus that you find growing wild, even if you’re convinced that you know the species. Unless the fungus has been identified by a true expert (i.e. not Google), leave it where it’s growing. Many highly poisonous mushrooms look very similar to edible varieties.
We hope we’ve inspired you to get out there and check out this magical fungus for yourself! Have you ever seen a glowing bitter oyster mushroom? Where did you spot it? Share your experiences in the comments!
Massachusetts In Your Inbox
Thank you! You will receive your first email soon.