Boston December 26, 2017
14 Reasons Why Boston Is The Best City
Boston’s the best. You know it, I know it, and let’s just assume that any doubters out there are Yankee fans. Still, if you find yourself in a position where you need to defend your favorite city, here are 14 points to help you win over anyone yet to be convinced:
1. Everything important happened here.
Okay, maybe not EVERYTHING, but much of the history that shaped our nation unfolded in Boston.
2. Bostonians are innovative.
Despite our city's enthralling history, we're not stuck in the past. Boston is a mecca for research and start-ups.
3. The skyline makes you smile, even when it's a sight you enjoy on a regular basis.
Our architecture is an unbeatable blend of historic and new.
4. Our green spaces and trails are lush...
The Emerald Necklace alone stretches all the way from Back Bay to Dorchester.
5. ...And the water's just as lovely.
We can even be picky about the
type of water view we want to enjoy: river, pond, or ocean. All are within easy reach.
6. Some places are college towns. We’re a college city.
Where there are colleges, there also tend to be diverse restaurants, indie stores, and smart people. Being a nerd here isn't just acceptable, it's embraced.
7. Our acclaimed foodie scene.
Boston's surrounded by farm stands and the ocean. That means chefs and home cooks alike start out with the freshest ingredients and only improve on them from there.
8. Boston is a city of neighborhoods.
There are 23 official neighborhoods in Boston. This fosters a sense of community within the larger city. There's probably at least one area that suits your style and (hopefully) your budget.
9. Culture is all around us.
We're unashamedly hogging many of the nation's best museums, and our symphony orchestra is one of the "Big Five." From low-key murals to vibrant festivals, there are daily opportunities to explore the arts and different cultures.
10. If you're a shopaholic, you can get your fix in Boston.
Greater Boston offers massive malls, while the adorable boutiques lining Newbury Street entice shoppers within the city itself.
11. Our sports teams actually win.
Of course we'll root for them in bad years as well as good ones, but isn't it so much better to support a team that wins more than once a generation?
12. When your ready to celebrate, sip your way through Boston's breweries and cider houses.
13. Massachusetts was just ranked the healthiest state in the nation by the United Health Foundation.
We beat out Hawaii for the top spot in 2017!
14. The people.
Whether we're partying, protesting, or doing something philanthropic, Bostonians go all in.
Ah, Boston. You certainly live up to your reputation as The Hub!
What do you love most about Boston? Let us know in the comments or on the
Only In Boston Facebook page.
Check out our past article:
11 Things Every Bostonian Wants The Rest Of The Country To Know.