Boston November 24, 2017
12 Things Everyone Who’s Moved Away From Boston Has Thought At Least Once
Even if we consider Boston our true home, sometimes circumstances force us to move away, either briefly or more permanently. While every place has its advantages and disadvantages, Boston is likely to inspire homesickness in anyone who leaves it. There are just so many things to miss. Here are 12 thoughts that displaced Bostonians have had at least once:
1. There’s nowhere with better seafood…
…or fresher Italian food (outside of Italy).
2. Why can’t I find real clam chowder?
You might be able to find canned chowder or even get some shipped, but it doesn’t taste the same.
3. I loved living in a major city that also had rivers, beaches, and the ocean.
There’s always a peaceful scene to admire.
4. I took Boston’s parks for granted.
If you take time to think about it, the way in which they link up is unique and wonderful. In many places, parks are simply isolated pockets of green in a cement sprawl.
5. It doesn’t feel like Independence Day without the Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular.
Celebrations elsewhere just lack that special something.
6. Watching the Head of the Charles Regatta and Boston Marathon live was so much fun.
7. My calendar seems really empty.
What happened to all the "only in Boston" holidays? Patriot’s Day, Evacuation Day… It’s tradition.
8. I miss the fall foliage.
Compared to Boston’s blaze of color, other city’s leaves seem muted.
9. Escaping an urban environment was so easy in Boston.
When Bostonians want a little more nature, it doesn’t take long for the city to transition into pretty countryside.
10. Everywhere else is so shiny and new – and that’s not necessarily a compliment.
Boston has such a vital and storied history. Events here literally shaped our nation.
11. Sports fans in other places don’t commit to their teams with quite the intensity of Bostonians.
And it sucks to be an isolated Sox or Pats fan in a different city. Celebrating Tom Brady’s birthday alone is just depressing.
12. How soon can I move back to Boston?
This city is so alluring...
Have you ever moved away from Boston? If so, what did you miss the most? Let us know in the comments.
Conversely, if you’re planning to relocate, here are
18 reasons why that’s the best decision you’ll ever make!