Boston October 30, 2017
by Juliet White 12 Sure-Fire Ways To Make A Bostonian Mad
Bostonians have plenty of reasons to be proud of our city. No place is perfect, but depending on your priorities, Boston comes pretty close. However, there are a few subjects that might make us a little touchy. Try to avoid the following, when visiting:
1. Supporting the Yankees.
The Boston-NY rivalry is very much alive and kicking. Even if you're up from New York, do you really want to stroll around Boston wearing a Yankees cap? Take a minute and think it over...
2. Insulting our sports teams.
Regardless of the sport, fans here are totally dedicated to our teams.
3. Acting incredulous if we don’t own a car.
There are many cities and towns where getting around via public transportation is challenging or even impossible. If you live in one of those places, you probably can’t imagine life without a car. Thankfully, Boston has a good public transit system, and given that there are parts of the city where your odds of winning the lottery are about equal to your chances of finding affordable parking, going car-less can be a really smart decision.
4. And for those of us who do regularly drive… suggesting we go somewhere during rush hour won't win you friends.
Especially if it's the airport.
5. Eating pungent food on the bus or train.
If we can smell your food before we can see you, then you should probably just finish it on the platform. Confined spaces and tuna or egg salad aren’t a good mix – particularly in summer.
6. Taking up an empty seat with your bag when there aren’t any available ones left.
Bags go on the floor or on your lap. People sit in the seats. It's pretty simple.
7. Mocking our accent if we have one…
…And interrogating us about our lack of accent if we don't have one. The bad imitations make us cringe, so cut out those "Havahd Yahd" jokes.
8. Dissing our Italian food…
…Or comparing it unfavorably to Italian meals you've eaten in New York.
9. Failing to have an opinion on whole belly clams versus clam strips.
Even worse? Having the wrong opinion. (We like whole belly clams here.)
10. Talking trash about Dunks.
We like our coffee regular
and affordable. None of that "venti" stuff, thank you very much!
11. Assuming that the only colleges here are Harvard and MIT.
There are more than 80 private colleges and universities in Greater Boston. BU is by far the largest in terms of student population.
12. Asking us why we want to live in Boston.
We're not forcing anyone else to move here, but most of us think this is a pretty amazing place to call home.
Not fully convinced? Then check out these
18 Reasons Living In Boston Is The Best.
Do you have any pet peeves to add to this list? Share them with us in the comments!
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.