Boston December 18, 2017
11 Awkward Moments Every Bostonian Has Endured At Least Once
Awkward situations happen. But some cringe-inducing moments are unique to Boston. Here are 11 uncomfortable moments that we all suffer through in the Hub:
We’re aware that these uncertain times are limiting many aspects of life. While we continue to feature destinations that make our state wonderful, please take proper precautions or add them to your bucket list to see at a later date. If you know of a local business that could use some extra support during these times, please nominate them here:
1. Slamming the Yankees in front of a New Yorker.
It's one thing to rag on the Yankees while surrounded by Sox fans. However, a social situation gets awkward fast when you share your feelings in front of someone from New York.
2. Going to trivia night and discovering that everyone else has several more degrees than you.
And no, buying one for seventy bucks online doesn't help!
3. Battling a snow bank and losing.
You know the scenario. You finally find parking but the meter's buried under four feet of snow. You fight your way through the snowbank and winding up looking like you lost a round with a Yeti. Snow 1: Human 0!
4. Asking for directions to a package store while traveling and ending up here…
...Boozeless and embarrassed.
5. Using Dunkin' Donuts as a marker when giving directions.
"So you take a right by Dunks, keep going for three blocks, then make a left opposite Dunks." This works fine when directing locals to your new place. But if you're trying to steer an out-of-towner in the right direction, they'll be confused by your reliance on Dunks.
6. Offering to give someone a ride and discovering you can’t...
…Because you misunderstood the six different sets of rules on most Boston parking signs. Nothing quite like the frustration of realizing your car’s been clamped or towed.
Riddle me this: if street sweeping takes place on Thursday, but you can’t park between 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m., and only those with permits can park overnight… Yeah, your head might explode!
7. When you have plans but you literally cannot find a parking space.
Your choices: cancel and skulk home in shame or be so late it's rude.
8. Someone tells you they don’t like seafood and you don't hide your horrified reaction in time.
Come on, chowder!
9. Ordering a frappe when you’re out-of-state and getting a coffee instead.
And you can bet that coffee didn't even come from Dunks.
10. When you say you love Italian food and the person you’re talking to replies: "oh, I love Olive Garden."
Yeah. Not the same thing.
11. Seeing a local celeb and failing to keep your cool.
Am I the only one who’s run into Eliot Tatelman and been way too psyched?
What’s your most recent embarrassing Bostonian moment? Share if you dare on the
Only in Boston Facebook page!
You may also be interested in our article: “
11 Foolproof Ways To Spot An Imposter In Boston.”