What Remains Of This Infamous Maryland Boys’ School Is Eerie
In 1894, The Tome School, a college preparatory school for boys, was founded by millionaire and philanthropist, Jacob Tome. Located in Port Deposit, the institute accepted grades kindergarten through high school and quickly became a prominent and prestigious school to attend. Some even traveled from out of town for enrollment.
Upon his death in 1898, Jacob Tome had left an endowment and instructions for expanding the campus and several new granite buildings. The plans were carried out and The Tome School continued to thrive for several more decades.
Sadly, during the depression, the school fell on financial hardships and was forced to close its doors in 1941. Since then, it has been used for the Naval Academy Preparatory School, Susquehanna Job Corps Center, but now stands abandoned. You can find the newer Tome School in North East, MD.
The Port Deposit location while once glistening and full of life, is now weathered and crumbling. Several buildings remain full of trash, broken glass, and graffiti. The following images by photographer Marcus Ellis, shows how what was once a hopeful place for Maryland’s youth, is now left forgotten.