Maine May 26, 2017
15 Awkward Moments Every Mainer Has Endured At Least Once
As Mainers, we’re used to being just a little bit different than everybody else. It might just be that we prefer being in Maine, or it might be that we really are…different. But, whatever the reason there are certain situations where we tend to stand out. It’s these moments when things can get a little bit awkward. Here’s a fun list of moments we imagine some Mainers will have to endure at least once in their life!
1. When you get invited to something fancy...
...and realize you can't actually go because you never considered having to attend an event that called for more than a solid, warm shirt and some boots.
2. But, you go anyway and endure these looks all night.
Which doesn't actually bother you because you'd rather be comfortable any day! Who's awkward now, ladies?!
3. The moment you realize that you've dated the same person three times...
...and so has your best friend. Small town Maine has some limitations.
4. That moment you realize that non-Mainers don't hold on to everything they've ever owned...
This moment might occur when you're on a road trip with friends and you demand to stop at every yard sale just in case there's something good. The novelty wears off for your friends. I happen to know this for a fact.
5. The moment when someone complains about missing out on a sale and you immediately remind them...
...that they should have bought it when they saw it at Marden's!"
6. Minding your own business, driving around in April only to end up here.
Mud season is no joke. When you get stuck you're forced to casually get out of the car and decide what to do next. Acting as if you're not phased at all. Or, has this only happened to me?
7. Driving your car out of state in April and showing up to a nice respectable parking lot looking like you were in a demolition derby.
Don't feel awkward about this one, actually. Wear that mud like a badge of honor. It takes a hearty soul to get through winter and THEN this.
8. The moment when you remember halfway through your day that Spring doesn't mean the same thing in Maine.
You leave the house dressed for the weather only to find that the weather has other plans.
9. That moment when the person behind you at a light honks...
...and you're not sure what it is. People in Maine don't honk at each other. We happily wait as long as it takes for the person in front to move.
10. The moment when you're out-of-state lobster roll arrives...
...and you have to eat it or risk being rude.
11. That moment when you realize that being June in Maine doesn't necessarily mean it's beach weather.
You're sitting on a rocky beach in a bathing suit while the wind blows. You try to look your summer best - it's June, afterall - but the reality is that it's just not quite time yet.
12. The moment when you suddenly understand that kids in other states didn't hop on an ATV to grab milk at the store.
"Wasn't that dangerous?!" No. It was convenient!
13. The moment you get caught doing something you shouldn't...
...but know all the cops in your small town, making it even more embarrassing.
14. That moment when you realize you should have stayed home, but you're already out...
...and have to act calm, cool and collected.
15. The moment when your mom came home from a Grange Bean supper...
...and you knew all your childhood secrets were now known. Nothing is off limits to discuss when your mom, teachers and friends' parents meet at the Grange.
Speaking of awkward, did you want a croissant this morning? Because there’s a good chance I just bought them all at
this amazing bakeshop in Belfast!