These 10 Beautiful Byways In Maine Are Perfect For A Scenic Drive
The best way to see a state is to drive through its back roads. We are huge believers in hitting the road to experience all Maine has to offer, whether it’s a fall foliage road trip or a road trip to Maine’s prettiest waterfalls. Sometimes, it’s the journey itself that’s worth the accolades. So, here are a few of the best scenic drives in Maine that allow you to sit back and enjoy the ride, no matter the season! And don’t worry about getting out of the car for anything other than taking in nature; check out our notes for detours and additional attractions along the way.
For these routes, you can leave the GPS at home. Clicking beneath each photo will take you directly to the Google Maps route with directions. Have fun, and enjoy our picks for the top 10 scenic drives in Maine!
Have you taken a road trip down any of these scenic drives in Maine? Tell us about your journey! We love to hear from you. What are some of your favorite scenic drives in Maine?
While you’re out and about, this cute-as-a-button cottage in Bar Harbor is just minutes away from Acadia and a dreamy place to rest your head after a long drive.
More to Explore
Best Scenic Drives in Maine
What are the most beautiful places in Maine?
Maine is one of those lucky states that just seem to be stunningly beautiful no matter where you look. Of course, it’s almost impossible to simply list every single beautiful place – after all, the state is filled with those! However, some of our favorite beautiful places in Maine include Two Lights State Park, in Cape Elizabeth, which is home to some of the most incredible coastal views in the entire country.
In Rangeley, you’ll find Height of Land, which is an incredibly scenic little town often labeled the “best winter town” in Maine.
You’ll also want to see places like Acadia National Park, or any of Maine’s 32 state parks (and/or four national parks) will do, too. Of course, these are just a few of our favorite beautiful, jaw-dropping places in Maine!
Where can I go on scenic road trips in Maine?
In a few words: plenty of places! Maine is a wonderful state for those who appreciate a good scenic road trip. Some examples of this state’s top-notch beautiful drives include:
- State Route 11, which follows incredible rolling hills and an awe-inspiring coastline.
- The Maine Lighthouse Drive is a must-do for locals and visitors alike. Trust us when we say you’ll want to have a good camera for that one!
- And then, there’s always Route 1, which begins in Danforth and extends through to New Brunswick, Canada. It’s an incredible route to take when you’ve got the time and would like to see incredible views of some of Maine’s most beautiful lakes, hills, and more.
Which scenic Maine byways should I add to my bucket list?
There are a ton and a half of scenic Maine byways you need to add to that bucket list ASAP! There are a lot – too many to mention – but some of our favorites include:
- The beautiful Acadia Byway, through Bar Harbor, which is an incredible coastal drive featuring lots of old-growth forest.
- The Old Canada Road National Scenic Byway extends from Solon to the Canadian border, with lots of overlooks involving rolling hills and pristine lakes.
- The Grafton Notch Byway
- Fish River Scenic Byway (also called State Route 11)
- Route 113, otherwise known as Pequawket Trail Scenic Byway.
There are lots more, but those are an excellent start. Hop in the car and get ready for adventure, because Maine holds plenty!