Most People Don’t Know The Meaning Behind These 11 Louisiana Town Names
Looking for some interesting travel facts? Check out these 11 weird Louisiana city names and their origins. The stories behind these “Louisiana legends” are truly fascinating and they make for a great trivia game!
Have you ever been to any of these Louisiana towns? What did you think? Which ones were the most interesting? Did the names fit the personalities you met? We’d love to read about your experiences in the comments section below.
If you’re looking for other “out-of-the-box” Louisiana fun facts, read all about these wacky Louisiana laws that will make you laugh out loud!
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.
Fun in Louisiana
What are some other funny Louisiana town names?
There are quite a few funny Louisiana town names, each place possessing its own unique history. Some may make you laugh out loud while others may make you cringe a bit. Nevertheless, you can still add some of the following to your trivia fact and unique travel list:
- Shongaloo – Shongaloo is located about an hour northeast of Shreveport. The name is a Native American term for "running water" and a Cypress tree.
- Plain Dealing – Located about 40 minutes directly north of Shreveport, this town holds the record for the hottest temperature ever measured in the state – a whopping 114 degrees Fahrenheit back in 1935!
- Frogmore – Frogmore is located a little under two hours north of the capital of Baton Rouge. It is believed that this town might be named after Frogmore Gardens, which was a vacation home for the Royal family in England. But no none knows for sure.
Are there any interesting Louisiana streets?
Yes, there are some interesting Louisiana streets that you might consider popping by. Like some of the funny Louisiana town names, these streets have their own interesting history as well. Check out the following list:
- Big Diamond Disposal Rd in Lake Charles
- Bacon St. in Alexandria
- Mystery St. in New Orleans
- Candy Queen Ln in Monroe
- Bruyninckx Rd in Alexandria
- Fulwar Skipwith Rd in Baton Rouge
- Bold Venture Rd, Shreveport
We're looking for fun family adventures in Louisiana.
There are lots of fun family adventures in Louisiana that are sure to delight and inspire. The following are a few places to get you started:
- The Gator Country Alligator Farm
- The Barn Hill Animal Preserve and Magnolia Ridge Adventure Park
- The Safari Boat Ride at the Louisiana Purchase Zoo