Louisiana May 08, 2018
11 Surprising Things You May Not Expect When Moving To Louisiana
So you’re planning to move to the Bayou State? First, congratulations—you’ve made an excellent decision and you’re going to love it here! Second, there are some surprising things you may not expect when you move here, and it’s better to be prepared now rather than have them sneak up on you.
1. Yes, it’s really that hot.
And you never really get used to it. Invest in an air conditioner and a few good fans.
2. And the humidity is off the charts.
Say goodbye to good hair days.
3. You can pretty much wear flip flops and shorts year round.
Our winters may be tame, but we pay for it dearly during the summer months.
4. Lovebug season is a thing.
And no matter how many times you run your car through the carwash, you’ll never get your bumper 100% bug-free.
5. You’ll find that we’re a friendlier group than you might expect.
We smile to strangers on the street, hold open doors open for others, and make friends easily. It’s just the way we were raised!
6. You may see some snow.
The northern part of the state sees more snow than you might think, but even the southern parts received record-breaking snowfall last winter.
7. There’s a festival for just about everything.
Whether it be hot tamales or hot air balloons, if it can be celebrated, we will celebrate it.
8. Always have bug spray handy.
Sometimes it feels like every mosquito in the world lives in Louisiana.
9. We have amazing outdoor adventure opportunities.
From swamps and bayous to hiking through the forest, you’ll never run out of things to do. (Just remember the bug spray.)
10. Our roaches take flight.
Do not call them palmetto bugs. They are cockroaches, plain and simple.
11. Louisiana will quickly capture your heart.
And you’ll never want to leave!
What are some other things newbies may not expect when moving to Louisiana? Let us know in the comments below!