Louisiana July 02, 2015
10 Wacky Louisiana Laws Will Make You Laugh Out Loud
Louisiana is a unique state because our laws are unlike any other state—they are actually based on the Napoleonic code. Here are some of the most crazy laws on the books in our state.
1) In Louisiana, it’s illegal to lie. It’s also illegal to make a promise and not keep it—but only if you knew you weren’t going to keep it before you made it.
In the law, lying is called ‘false swearing’.
2) Minors cannot play coin-operated foosball unless they are accompanied by an adult.
Apparently skee-ball is okay.
3) If you’re going to feed your hogs some garbage, you have to cook it first.
And you can’t go to your friend’s house to cook the garbage either—you have to do it on your own premises.
4) It is expressly illegal to steal a person’s alligator---and can lead to a penalty of up to 10 years in jail!
It doesn’t matter if that person’s alligator is dead or alive.
5) Horses may not be tied to a tree on a public highway.
Additionally, the horse can’t stand in any manner that could injure a tree.
6) In Sulphur, LA, it’s illegal to make a phone call and use any profane or indecent language.
It’s also illegal to make a call and then intentionally ‘fail to hang up’.
7) It’s illegal to play a game on a neutral ground unless the area is designated as a playground.
And if you want to play a game in Lafayette Square, you must obtain written permission.
8) In New Orleans, any rider of a bicycle, tricycle, or other vehicle propelled by hand or foot must have at least one hand on the handle bars at all times.
I wonder where this leaves unicycles?
9) In Louisiana, you cannot shoot lasers at police officers.
Police officers apparently aren’t like cats.
10) No reptiles are allowed within 200 yards of a Mardi Gras parade.
I guess they learned that snakes and parades don’t mix.
All of these laws make me wonder if anyone has ever been arrested for these crimes? Just wondering! Share your funny law tales below 🙂