Louisiana March 12, 2019
These 23 Candid Photos Show What Life Was Like In Louisiana In the 1930s
It can be fun to pull out an old photo album and take a walk down memory lane, especially when you’re perusing through images of eras long past. These 23 candid photos show was life was like in Louisiana in the 1930s, and it’s surprising to see how much it has changed… and in some cases, how much has stayed the same. Take a look at these nostalgic photos and see if you recognize any landmarks in the background!
1. A group of men surveying land in Natchitoches Parish in 1933.
2. Prisoners in Angola Prison spending time in the yard 1934.
Folk musician and 12-string guitar virtuoso Huddie "Lead Belly" Ledbetter is the man standing in the foreground.
3. Nothing beats the heat like a dip in the pool. This photo of a public swimming pool in Houma could have been taken yesterday, but it's actually from 1934.
4. A trio of friends making music together in Plaquemines Parish in 1935.
5. A man and his daughter on their porch in Plaquemines Parish in 1935.
6. Men pausing to read a safety poster in Ouachita Parish in 1936.
7. A night school class in Kenner in 1936.
8. A librarian sitting quietly at the Point Coupee Parish Library in New Roads in 1936.
9. Workmen beginning construction on the Arabi Community Center in 1936.
10. The oil industry and Louisiana have a long history together, as this picture from 1936 suggests.
11. Workers terracing the grounds outside of Springfield High School in 1937.
12. An oil industry worker in 1937.
13. Workers digging a water main in Madisonville in 1937.
14. A group of friends relaxing on the dock in Boothville in 1938. Some things never change!
15. Two friends passing time by playing cards in Reserve in 1938.
16. An ice cream man waiting for customers at the State Fair in Donaldsonville in 1938.
17. Another picture that just transcends through the ages; these men in Pilottown are enjoying a cold beer after a hard day of work in 1938.
18. A crowd gathering to watch a magician at the State Fair in Donaldsonville in 1938.
19. A group of men and their four-legged friend conversing on a porch in Iberia Parish in 1938.
20. Two men sitting inside of a general store in Olga in 1938.
21. A man unloading his haul after a day of harvesting oysters in 1938.
22. Again, some things never change - these fine folks are enjoying themselves at a bar in Pilottown in 1938.
23. Cheers! These friends in Raceland in 1938 sure look like they’re having a wonderful time.
Did you recognize any of the places in these cool vintage photos? Do you have some of your own to share? Let us know in the comments below!