You can try to avoid them, but awkward moments are inevitable. The best thing to do is just laugh and shrug it off, right? Well we’ve got some awkward moments just about every Louisianan has endured at least once in their lifetime. How many can you relate to?
1. Being up North and saying "Y’all"
The minute you let it slip, it’s like the record stops, people stare, and inevitably someone will say "aw, you said y’all!" Yep. Sure did. It’s better than "you guys". Also, if you spend enough time around those Yankees, you’ll rub off on them, and they’ll start saying "y,all" too.
2. You’ve asked for a go-cup at a bar… in another state.
There’s a lot we take for granted living in Louisiana, and this is one of them. You forget that it’s not normal to leave the bar with your drink. It’s actually frowned upon (and illegal) just about everywhere else.
3. Explaining the pile of newspapers you’ve accumulated to out-of-towners.
Maybe you read them, but you know the real reason you keep them on hand is for crawfish boils.
4. You’ve described a color as K&B purple
This one will get crickets if you mention it outside of the South, or even to the younger generation who doesn’t remember this awesome drugstore. But if you remember, you know EXACTLY what color this is.
5. Asking for a sandwich dressed… When you’re outside of Louisiana
There’s a good chance neighboring states would know what you mean, but you’ll definitely get some strange looks if you order your roast beef sandwich dressed anywhere else.
6. Your glasses fogging up when you step outside
It’s cool, I don’t need to see… Seeing is overrated…
7. Doing some impromptu ninja moves when you walk through one of these bad boys.
We’ve all done the spider dance. IS IT ON ME?! IS IT ON ME?!
8. Spending a long time fixing your hair (or makeup), then stepping outside.
Humidity is just something you never get used to, and are always fighting that battle. No matter how long you spend fixing your hair and makeup, it’ll be ruined when you step outside. But keep fighting the good fight!
9. Standing outside your car for a moment while you wait for it to cool down.
If your car has been sitting in a parking lot for anything over an hour, you’re not going to want to get right into it. You have to crank the AC, crack the windows, and just hang out a bit. Otherwise, you’ll be doing that screaming jump when your legs touch that scorching hot leather.
10. Referring to a Parish… when you’re outside of Louisiana.
We’ve all done it. Maybe you’re in Mississippi, maybe you’re in Montana, but you’ve referred to a county as a parish by accident.
11. Remembering your vacation was actually an evacuation
Evacuating is basically an impromptu vacation. When I was younger I remember staying in the Ozarks with my family, and it wasn’t until years later I realized our family vacation was actually an evacuation from hurricane Andrew.
12. Your night being ruined when you spot one of these in your house.
You spot it out of the corner of your eye, and just like that your day is ruined. Gotta think quick, because these little dudes are FAST and even worse, they FLY. Grab a shoe and make sure you don’t miss! (Also, it’s even worse when you have to leave the room to grab your weapon of choice, and when you get back, it’s gone.)
How many of these can you relate to? Think of any you can add to the list? Leave your awkward moments in the comments below!