Kansas October 23, 2015
13 Extremely Weird Things Only People From Kansas Do
Have you ever had an out-of-stater question you about your seemingly normal (to you) traditions or habits? If you answered yes, you’re in good company. In fact, there are 13 unique things that Kansans do that other people find weird, including:
1. Throw up the Shocker sign like it ain't no thang.
Please do NOT Google the other meaning of this gesture...
2. We've all taken a picture with the world's largest ball of twine.
Don't deny it!
3. When Merril Teller tells us to take cover, we head to the front porch.
How are you supposed to see the tornado from a storm shelter?!
4. We will NOT laugh at your "hilarious" Wizard of Oz references.
"Welcome to Missouri! Oh, I have a feeling you aren't in Kansas anymore!" *Kansan punches jokester in face*
5. We act like we couldn't care less about being home to the world's tallest water slide...
Yeah, the Verruckt lives on the good side of KC... NBD.
6. ...first ICEE...
The ICEE was invented by Coffeyville resident Omar Knedlik in 1958.
7. ...and original Red Light District.
Contrary to popular belief, the Red Light District was originally founded in Dodge City, which was home to a well-known prostitution district during the 19th century, including the Red Light House saloon.
8. We like our sloppy joes less sloppy.
Technical term = Loose meat sandwich.
9. We don't refer to it as just a slide; we refer to it as a slippery slide.
Not all slides are created equal, after all.
10. We know EXACTLY what a Jayhawk is...
11. ...and feel strongly (one way or the other) about the term "EMAW."
We love you, Willie!
12. We each have our own unique way of dealing with the unbearable humidity.
My way? Never, ever leaving the house.
13. And finally, you can always find us outside at dusk.
Because Kansas is home to the most beautiful sunsets of them all. Period.
Which of these “weird” things are you most guilty of? Tell me about it in the comments.