Kansas December 28, 2016
15 Things Every True Kansan Does At Least Once Before They Die
Were you born and raised in Kansas? Or maybe you moved here later in life and made it your adopted home (like I did when I moved here for college)? No matter the case, you know how great the state is and how it is truly the greatest place to live… however, you can’t really consider yourself to be a true-to-life Kansan until you have done these 15 iconic things:
1. Tap your heels together at the Oz Museum
Tucked away in downtown Wamego is the wonderful Oz Museum, which features more than 2,000 Wizard of Oz artifacts, colorful exhibits, a unique gift shop and several fabulous surprises along the way.
2. Head to Hutch to walk the Kansas State Fair...
...because OUR state fair is the best state fair!
3. ...ride the train at Strataca...
Did you know that out of the 15 working salt mines in the country, the Hutchinson Salt Company mine/Strataca is the only one that allows visitors? Take advantage of this awesome attraction by riding the epic Salt Mine Express through this historic mine.
4. ...and be launched into the future at the Cosmosphere.
There is truly something for everyone to explore and enjoy at the Cosmosphere, which houses the largest collection of spaceflight artifacts in the world!
5. Cheer on your favorite team in person.
Whether you Rock Chalk, believe EMAW, or love to throw up the Shocker, do it in person at one of their games!
6. Drive the stunning Flint Hills Scenic Byway...
Gorgeous, right?! There is A LOT more where that came from along beautiful K-177!
7. ...get out to stretch your legs a bit...
You never know what you are going to see or hear along these colorful hills!
8. ...and then kick back and listen to the joyous sounds of the symphony.
This year's Symphony in the Flint Hills is scheduled for June 10, 2017.
9. Stay the night at Hendrick Exotic Animal Farm.
What? You have never walked a few feet from your charming hotel room to go feed the giraffes? Then you have obviously never stayed at this unique Nickerson Bed and Breakfast!
10. Make the rounds at Crawford County Fried Chicken.
With its six tasty fried chicken joints all located within miles of each other, you are guaranteed to find something to love at this 8 Wonders of Kansas Cuisine.
11. Overeat at Guy & Mae's...
Fried chicken isn't the only iconic food in Kansas! We also have tender, fall-off-the-bone BBQ (served up PERFECTLY at Guy & Mae’s Tavern in Williamsburg)...
12. ...and Beethoven's #9.
...and authentic German food as well (found at Beethoven's in Paola).
13. Drinks at Gella's Diner & Lb. Brewing Co. (Hays)...
14. ...and Free State Brewing Company (Lawrence).
With all of the delicious microbreweries in the country, we are #blessed to live down the street from two of the best! Go ahead and try everything that Gella's and Free State has to offer... we won't judge!
15. Watch the Keeper of the Plains light up the nighttime sky.
There is no better way to end your day (or this list) than by watching the larger-than-life Keeper of the Plains become all aglow with its famed Ring of Fire show, which runs nightly at 7 pm (or 9 pm during the summer).
For even more must sees, check out
The 24 Places You Should Go In Kansas In 2017!