Kansas June 09, 2016
8 Reasons Why BBQ Became Kansas’s Most Beloved Food
If you are a Kansan who hasn’t been living under a rock their entire life, there is a good chance that you are familiar with good BBQ and the state’s obsession with it… but just what is it about this tangy tenderness that has us hooked? Well, for starters:
1. No matter your whereabouts, you're bound to be close to a great BBQ joint.
Whether you're north, south, east, or west, you are guaranteed to find a little off-the-grid, fall-of-the-bone goodness.
2. The only time we will eat our vegetables is when they've been grilled.*
*And wrapped in bacon.
3. It is completely customizable.
Whether you like chicken, beef, pork, or all of the above, you can grill it (usually with the side of your choice.)
4. Have we mentioned the sauces?
Sweet, spicy, mild... you name it, your BBQ can taste like it.
5. Eating ribs = supporting Kansas farmers.
Seriously; the next time you sink your teeth into a supple slab of meat, be sure to thank a Kansas farmer!
6. Smell of BBQ in the air = the smell of summer.
It almost makes up for the unbearable humidity...
7. Grilled meat is the food of our ancestors.
No, not our German ancestors; I mean cavemen. (Therefore, a love of BBQ is in our genetics.)
8. Last but certainly not least, BBQ can help us judge a person's character.
Can't grill or don't like a rack of ribs from time to time? I'm sorry... we can't be friends.
What do you love most about Kansas BBQ?